Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Nice avatar coalman..........where was the 819th out of?

I also took exception to the G.I. Bill comment, but I don't think it was said maliciously. My HVAC school experience was great. It was through a university and I learned a lot. It was 1 year long. That was 28 years ago and I never regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coalman View Post
    Rheem29, YOU NAILED IT!

Keep telling myself that it is not an 'age' thing.

After I moved the literature bookcase back into the office at work, ( was behind one of our chillers ) I watched to see who was using it.
    It's been a month now and not one book has been moved or touched.

Sad.
    Yes it is very very sad that no one beleives that
    "
    "READING IS FUNDAMENTAL"
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

R.I.F. isnt that as fundemental as look, listen, feel? of corse i love new tech books on equipment. not all of us youngins are not intrested

Quote Originally Posted by matttheemt View Post
    R.I.F. isnt that as fundemental as look, listen, feel? of corse i love new tech books on equipment. not all of us youngins are not intrested
    That's true.........but I will say that when my son was a teenager, I just went out and sold our set of encyclopedia's.........cuz he already knew everything..........

i went to community colledge and spent about 3 grand here in canada then got job with a local contractor making no money. did a bit of work for free just for experiance then he paid for my next level 2 years later got on with superior propane and they paid for my level 1 finished that and got on with commerical company and they signed me up for Hvac and paid for my first level. now i have enough hours for my 3rd level just waiting for the courses to be put on. and i'm in a union outfit now they will pay for everything. i say going to school and taking the first step was key to my career i'm going on 9 years in the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem29 View Post
    Show me the way i want to be your young Luke Skywalker?
    Come to Louisiana, I'm looking for good padawans
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

ha ha ha...ya its funny how smart my dad got when i turned about 24. they way i work is to try and put myself into the crap hole for ANY tech that has something to teach me. its worked out pretty well for me, if you bust your ass for a guy hell show you the stuff that takes many years andmess up to get. i have to say though that school for me was freat! it cost me 23000 but my head instructor didnt lie to use"when your done with school your fit to carry a techs tools" that was the quote i remember the most. so i learned schematics and trouble shooting electrical like my life depended on it! and now im workin on munters, rack houses andcontrols. in less then a year and a half(of strait service, on my own) i had my bosses tell me that i was the go to guy cause of my nothing can stop me attitude, with a phone ofcoarse. some days i feel like im stealing my paycheck cause i love my job. but it was a good instructer that didnt sugar coat anything and thatlet the idiots go home instead of lab work that got me there. hell they went home more time for me to ask questions and blow up transformers.lol

paid/paying about 5k for my training..through the public school sector.
    local tech school

Here's where I went. http://www.pct.edu/catalog/majors/BHD.shtml If your serious about the HVAC field, check it out.

They offer a Bachelors degree now. When I went there, they offered the Associates degree.

Its a good school.

I went to pencho tech in nj and regret every minute of it. I mean I did get a good job out of it but most 40% of the time we didn't have a teacher or the random guy they hired knew as much as my class did. Would of saved me a lot of money going to a public vocational school.

Trade school is a waste of money for most people these days. When i got out of school i got 13 bucks an hour, I quit because i was doing ***** work, picking up garbage, cleaning the service van. I decided to take a different route, now i am a boiler and refrigeration operator/mechanic. Really laid back job, nice air conditioned office 60-70 k a year and ive only been out of school 2 years

Really? You honestly don't think the trade school background didn't help you get your job?

PAY the $$$ and get the cert ........

This is not the old days when one fails based upon their grades, they ALL pass once they PAY

As an old timer though, it really did not mean squat to me as to has and to has not.....

It's been about pure and simple common sense and it always will be to me

Not a common trait anymore........

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast