WARNING about HVAC trade schools - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    I went to RSI in Phoenix at 2003 . When I was still in school ,I ride along with the owner of a small company without pay just to learn as much as I can .After I graduated from school , He pay me $12.50 an hour which is way below average .But he willing to teach me everything . I end up work for him for more than a year . After that I did subcontract work for three years ,got the license and have my own company . I am just a one man show ,makes pretty good money .

I went to a trade school after completing college and getting my BA. I worked part time in my younger years for a hack and wanted to learn the business and trade the right way. I had prior sales experience so when I finished trade school, got hired to sell. I faked it until I made it for about 5 years and bounced around a few companies. I landed with a well known estabilished union company who game me a shot and it payed off. The challenge of knowing every aspect in this trade and servicing the customer the right way is a simple formula! The Low price game is just not worth the head aches and customers who buy from low bid only are not my type of customer! This is the biggest challenge in todays market, justifying your price and giving great service all the time!
    An astronaut stuck in space was asked by a reporter, "How do you feel?"
    "How would you feel," the astronaut replied, "if you were stuck here, on top of 20,000 parts each one supplied by the lowest bidder?"

"do it right or do it twice"

I got pretty lucky. After high school, I went to community college for a year for journalism, failed out, moved back home. I started working with my dad who owns a successful small commercial refrigeration business. I decided it was what I wanted to do, so I became his apprentice. I also paid 400 bucks to get a 'career diploma' from an online college. They sent me some starter tools, books, and lesson plans and I used them to suppliment my on the job training. Right now I only get paid $10.75 an hour, but I'm fine with that knowing I'm helping out the family business and I'll get raises when we can afford it and I show my abilities and whatnot. I'm hoping on taking over the company in the future.

Good for you, good luck to you. Make sure you get your EPA and any other licenses you can get.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

I am new to the industry. I went to a local technical school and paid about 10k out of my pocket. The majority of the students were on a GI bill, unemployment, or ex-cons learning a trade. I was lucky to have common sense and a mechanical ability, unlike most of the students. They thought the school was going to teach them that. Your only going to get what you put in to the school.

I was hired out of school at a local Hospital for more $ then most companies were offering at the time. The school taught me the basics and I have learned so much more on the job. I was told if it Suck, Blows, Heats or Cools I am responsible for it and I love my job and the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattch View Post
    I am new to the industry. I went to a local technical school and paid about 10k out of my pocket. The majority of the students were on a GI bill, unemployment, or ex-cons learning a trade. I was lucky to have common sense and a mechanical ability, unlike most of the students. They thought the school was going to teach them that. Your only going to get what you put in to the school.

I was hired out of school at a local Hospital for more $ then most companies were offering at the time. The school taught me the basics and I have learned so much more on the job. I was told if it Suck, Blows, Heats or Cools I am responsible for it and I love my job and the industry.
    Looks like you did this.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattch View Post

Didn't realize I was in such an elite group! ...Serving my country or unemployed or ex-con...?
    Guess I should be proud...
    Sorry that the one's on the GI bill are taking up class space.

I am a student at a public trade school in SC. My over all cost of school was over 14 thousand I believe. Really not worried about it since it didn’t come out of my pocket, the state paid for it and I do not have to pay it back not one cent. The teachers I have are not there to just collect money they are involved in our learning. Its to the point to where they will stay long after class is over and not getting paid anymore to make sure we understand these systems. The teachers from day one emphasized that the learning never stops and advised us to continue taking workshops to stay current with tomorrows technology. They make sure our labs stays stocked with parts and supplies so what ever we need to work on its there for us. And yes I said labs. They are always bring in new equipment and new technology so we can stay up to date on what’s happening in our field. (ex: trane just delivered a brand new indoor unit hyperion I think.) We are not all stuck on just a few units either we have more units than students. I consider my self lucky to have such involved and devoted teachers in the HVAC program.

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    stupid golden girls

Yep Louisiana chicks
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

The thing that kills me about these trade schools is that there only nine months and they cram as many kids as they can into a classroom and when they graduate they flood the market with unexperienced workers.
    I went for nine months and felt like i was just getting warmed up and they threw me out the door: Wish i did a two year program. It gets better there supposed to help with job placement and they call me up for direc tv installer or send me the craigslist ads

I've been at the same company since I was 19 almost 17.5 years.

Went to vo-tech for 3 months before dropping out for instrumentation on a scholarship(long story on dropping out). Went to work for a friend of the family that was the vice president of an instrument repair shop. Treated like crap, making 6 bucks a hour, spent 6 months of a year sick from the chemicals that we worked with and the chemicals that came in in the instruments. Quit, went to another shop making 5.50 and then was told the guy they hired to help me that was getting his GED was getting moved up even though I was qualified to do the work and a go getter.

Being an honor student and alot of different opportunities to go to college for free(another long story) I had always told my dad I will never do a/c work everytime he offered to teach me. Started at the same company hes now been at for 32+ years and me 17, worked my ass off to get where I am today, originally a mechanic now the lead controls guy. I work for a great company(commercial) so I can't relate to some of these other stories and dont care if they get rid of you instances.

Now seeing how everyone one is passing out advice this is my tidbits

Respect

You show respect to the senior techs, it came naturally to me because that was how I was raised and the guys I work with I've known quite a few of them since I was 4. YOU WILL NEVER FIND SOMEONE WILLING TO TEACH YOU IF YOU DONT SHOW RESPECT. I tell everyone that I try to teach that you may not respect me as a person but at least respect what I know and respect can be looked at from different angles.

Pet Peeve-If you do not own a plastic cover, 5 section college ruled notebook go out and pick up one before the end of the week. Even with 17 years I still learn something new and if its detailed that I might forget it goes in my notebook.
    If someone is going to freely give you knowledge that took them years to learn have the decency to write it down in something that you will not lose and will last, not your little pocket notepad but a notebook. If you cant show you care enough to do that the free knowledge will not keep coming.

If I'm working late you are to, theres alot of dam good guys(won't list yall, scared to miss one and tick yall off) on this site and all of them will vouch for this, if you want to be anything in this trade your job doesn't end at 4:30, even if I dont need you but I'm doing something you dont know invest the time to stay for FREE, yes FREE, to learn something new, I can't tell you how many times guys that have went somewhere in the trade on this site have done this.

Do what your told-If I can't get you to do what I tell you needs to be done doing regular work, why waste the time teaching you if your not going to do it.

Now I might sound like an ass or a prick but I will tell you this, I am willing to take my knowledge(not saying I'm a genius) and give it to anyone that shows that they CARE and WANT TO LEARN, above is sure fire ways to get someone that wants to share their knowledge to share it with YOU.

BTW another important thing you wont hear often

Mechanical Room Garbage Cans Are Your Friend

Thats right, doing maintenance? Finished cleaning the coils, drains, and wiping the unit down. If there is a maintenance contract and the unit is more than a 5 ton split there is a chance something has been replaced on that unit. The older techs usually already have copies of the lit. or the experience that when they open that part the paperwork goes to, you guessed it, the garbage can. There is a wealth of information to be found in mechanical room garbage cans in the form of manuals and literature( I know I have a 2 file filing cabinet in my truck full of manuals I have pulled out of the trash)

Good luck in the trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Show me the ways of the force.

Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    I've been at the same company since I was 19 almost 17.5 years.

Went to vo-tech for 3 months before dropping out for instrumentation on a scholarship(long story on dropping out). Went to work for a friend of the family that was the vice president of an instrument repair shop. Treated like crap, making 6 bucks a hour, spent 6 months of a year sick from the chemicals that we worked with and the chemicals that came in in the instruments. Quit, went to another shop making 5.50 and then was told the guy they hired to help me that was getting his GED was getting moved up even though I was qualified to do the work and a go getter.

Being an honor student and alot of different opportunities to go to college for free(another long story) I had always told my dad I will never do a/c work everytime he offered to teach me. Started at the same company hes now been at for 32+ years and me 17, worked my ass off to get where I am today, originally a mechanic now the lead controls guy. I work for a great company(commercial) so I can't relate to some of these other stories and dont care if they get rid of you instances.

Now seeing how everyone one is passing out advice this is my tidbits

Respect

You show respect to the senior techs, it came naturally to me because that was how I was raised and the guys I work with I've known quite a few of them since I was 4. YOU WILL NEVER FIND SOMEONE WILLING TO TEACH YOU IF YOU DONT SHOW RESPECT. I tell everyone that I try to teach that you may not respect me as a person but at least respect what I know and respect can be looked at from different angles.

Pet Peeve-If you do not own a plastic cover, 5 section college ruled notebook go out and pick up one before the end of the week. Even with 17 years I still learn something new and if its detailed that I might forget it goes in my notebook.
    If someone is going to freely give you knowledge that took them years to learn have the decency to write it down in something that you will not lose and will last, not your little pocket notepad but a notebook. If you cant show you care enough to do that the free knowledge will not keep coming.

If I'm working late you are to, theres alot of dam good guys(won't list yall, scared to miss one and tick yall off) on this site and all of them will vouch for this, if you want to be anything in this trade your job doesn't end at 4:30, even if I dont need you but I'm doing something you dont know invest the time to stay for FREE, yes FREE, to learn something new, I can't tell you how many times guys that have went somewhere in the trade on this site have done this.

Do what your told-If I can't get you to do what I tell you needs to be done doing regular work, why waste the time teaching you if your not going to do it.

Now I might sound like an ass or a prick but I will tell you this, I am willing to take my knowledge(not saying I'm a genius) and give it to anyone that shows that they CARE and WANT TO LEARN, above is sure fire ways to get someone that wants to share their knowledge to share it with YOU.

BTW another important thing you wont hear often

Mechanical Room Garbage Cans Are Your Friend

Thats right, doing maintenance? Finished cleaning the coils, drains, and wiping the unit down. If there is a maintenance contract and the unit is more than a 5 ton split there is a chance something has been replaced on that unit. The older techs usually already have copies of the lit. or the experience that when they open that part the paperwork goes to, you guessed it, the garbage can. There is a wealth of information to be found in mechanical room garbage cans in the form of manuals and literature( I know I have a 2 file filing cabinet in my truck full of manuals I have pulled out of the trash)

Good luck in the trade.
    Show me the way i want to be your young Luke Skywalker?

Rheem29, YOU NAILED IT!

Keep telling myself that it is not an 'age' thing.

After I moved the literature bookcase back into the office at work, ( was behind one of our chillers ) I watched to see who was using it.
    It's been a month now and not one book has been moved or touched.

Sad.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast