Post Likes

Questions about Local Union 250

Hello everyone, I just got informed that I was accepted into my local union (250). I had a few questions, how long should I wait until I get a call/email from my local? How long (let's say from now) until I get hired and going? How much would a 1st yr. Apprentice make? I'm extremely excited and content. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Post Likes
    The answers to some of your questions could (and probably should) be answered by your contact at Local 250.

Quote Originally Posted by whatryou
    how long should I wait until I get a call/email from my local?
    How did you learn you were accepted? By mail? By phone? Or are you saying your application was accepted? Have you taken the test? Placed on the list? Know your position on the list?

Wages depend on classification. Are you going into hot or cold side? Currently the steamfitter journeyman wage is about $41.68/hr. A first year apprentice makes 45% of that or $18.76/hr. plus fringe benefits. Increases are usually every six months at 5% increases so in five years when you turn out you'll be at journeyman wages.

My advice, FWIW, do NOT miss your classes. Attendance is mandatory and if you miss more than a certain amount (either 2 or 3) per class you are booted from the program. If you want to do this you need to be "all in" and treat school the same as showing up to work on time.

Post Likes
    @KnewYork Everyone I talk to says the benefits in the union are great. What are these benefits? how do they factor into my pay? Thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by whatryou View Post
    @KnewYork Everyone I talk to says the benefits in the union are great. What are these benefits? how do they factor into my pay? Thanks.
    Call Local 250 and ask.