Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pa to Az

Post Likes

Question Pa to Az

Hello all

Doing some research and was looking for some advice/info.

I am late 30's and in the trades most of my life. Grew up north Jersey. Went to trade school for electronics many years ago, worked 8 years for telephone company, worked 11 years for railroad ( 7 of those years as an electrician ). Even though all my work was working in a union, I never got my license as electrician or worked for union hall ( journeyman training etc ), so my knowledge is from on the job or inhouse programs. Found I really like the world of HVAC. I am enrolled in a trade school for HVAC and about halfway done. They have a great job placing record and I hope to get a spot out the door here in Pa. Towards the summer my wife and I plan on moving to Az Phoenix area for family reasons. She is a teacher and will be working.

Even though I have done plenty of work in the field of trades, HVAC is new to me and I have no resume specific experience to show. I know my HVAC trade school ( with EPA certification) will give me a foot in the door and I have a good electrical background. I also am going to try and get my core NATE as soon as I can after I graduate. So what I am wondering is how do I start looking in Az? I am not sure what would be a good place to start or what a strong company out there would be. I know I have to work my way up as a new guy and learn the ropes, but I also want a strong place that will provide some training along the way. I plan on living and working there for good until retirement.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post Likes
    So you are planning on making the move next summer?
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

Post Likes
    Yes, summer of 2016. We are looking at May/June. Would have to have a job secured before the move so the date isn't set in stone yet

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimirl View Post
    Yes, summer of 2016. We are looking at May/June. Would have to have a job secured before the move so the date isn't set in stone yet
    That's too bad because we are looking for someone right now.
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

Post Likes
    Well that is awesome that work is available right now, but it's bad timing I guess. I will be finished school in Feb and my wife needs to finish out school year with her teaching job and that ends in May.

Post Likes
    Our busy season starts around May so you should be good. I'm sure someone from AZ will chime in by tomorrow.

Post Likes
    That sounds good. Thank you for the reply!

Post Likes
    If you end up staying in pa we are looking. I have worked here for 18 years and have no plans of going anywhere. Www.jamescraftson.com

9. Likes heatingelement liked this post
    Post Likes
    Jimirl

Add your email address to your profile,,
    I know the greater Phoenix area is busier then its ever been!!

Jim

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhoffa View Post
    Jimirl

Add your email address to your profile,,
    I know the greater Phoenix area is busier then its ever been!!

Jim
    what kind of licenses are required to work as a commercial Tech in Arizona? it's on our short list of places to move to
    you will attract more flies with honey than with vinegar, but you can attract the most with a dead cat

Post Likes
    Universal EPA cert.
    You'll want a good company that believes in training.
    Good place to start is the supply houses on the bulletin boards
    There are also online resources where you can upload your resume and wait for emails etc.
    I recently did that and my phone blew up but then I have a lengthy report. Just out of school though your best bet is meeting techs and talking to the counter guys a bit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cptrdbrd View Post
    If you end up staying in pa we are looking. I have worked here for 18 years and have no plans of going anywhere. Www.jamescraftson.com
    I know this is a little older post but wondering if you're still looking for a tech? Family is looking to relocate to PA.

Post Likes
    We're a small commercial food service and Refrigeration outfit. And we're in desperate need of a good techs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast