Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On your advice (someone here!) I bought this furnace for my AC guy to install. Very aggressively priced. Looks very solid. Also got their 13 SEER AC and 2-ton coil.
    I know (some of ) you gentlemen beat up on this brand, but I am sure I will be happy. Thanks for pointing me to a high value, low cost alternative to the other brands. Will help to keep my new construction house in budget.

Also got the AprilAire 2400 and a humidifier. I paid for the equipment, and my installer will profit handsomely. I don't mind paying for a guy to make a living. His experience and expertise is worth something. I don't work for free, and he should not either. Equipment costs came in at about 40% of total job cost.

could be a whoopin comin..........
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

well if you went that route you have no intention of letting your installer have a chance of making any money. If he is smart at all he will anyway but to try to say you want him to and then going out and buying around him tells me that you are probably the type to spend a dollar to save a dime. OH by the way I do like Goodman but by the time you are done you will probably figure out that you should have just bought it from who was installing it . I would ask you to come back and tell us in a few years if in the long run that it would have been better to have bought it that way, but then most people never will admit they were wrong.

Godzilla

Did you purchase the equipment over the internet?

I do agree that buying the equipment yourself to be installed by someone else is the worst way to have an HVAC system installed. The purchaser of the equipment assumes all responsibility for its install and has no recourse if the installation is not proper.

It is a shame that literally every brand of HVAC equipment manufactured can be bought by anyone on the Internet. If a Goodman product is known to have been bought on the Internet Goodman has stipulated that that equipment is not covered under its warranty.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

No, I did not buy the equip over the 'net. He told me what I needed, we went over to the place to get it, and all I did was write the supply house a check and leave. He loaded it up in his truck and took it over to the new home. I did this to protect both myself and him. You can read into that whatever you wish.

What was the name of the supply house?

Did you make your check out to goodman distribution?

Originally posted by madeinusa
    What was the name of the supply house?

Did you make your check out to goodman distribution?

The contractor/dealer is also at fault on this one. He sounds like one of the ones that would gladly sell to anyone on the net without a care in the world.
    It sounds like this guy is'nt actually a licensed contractor. He probably works for one, and this is one of his side jobs.

Godzilla2k69: In order to "protect both yourself and him", why don't you give us his name. We can then have one of our associates (perhaps Officer Wiggins) see that everything is handled properly.

Congrats on going with the higher eff. equipment.

As for you paying the distributor directly? Well thats between you and your contractor, as he now has no warranty obligation on it.

And you should have phrased what you said better, no one here told you to buy the equipment, and have a contractor install it.

But you will like the comfort of 2 stage.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

What self respecting contractor would allow this kind of BS?

Side job city.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Some of you guys never cease to amaze me. First, I don't CARE what the equipment costs becase:
    a) I don't know how to install it, and
    b) This guy needs to make a living, and
    c) I don't want to install it, and
    d) He will install the brand/model I wanted (GMV90 and 13 SEER AC).

I am not trying to get one 'over' on this poor guy. I paid him 1/2 up front. But when 2 days later he tells me he can't buy the furnace because he is out of coin, then I know that things are tight for him and he used the up front money to buy food/pay bills or whatever and not pay for the equipment. So I am doing both him and me a favor by going to the supply house with him and paying for all the equipment. That does 3 things:

a) I know all the equipment is paid for so I won't get a lien against my house from his supplier (holding up closing), and
    b)he has everything he needs to complete my house, and
    c) this frees up his up-front money to do something else. Frankly, I did him a favor. If the furnace cost 50c and he bid $10,000 does not really make any difference to me. I accepted his bid. The fact that I know EXACTLY what I paid for the furnace is a plus. Heck, I OWN it. I paid for it. The equipment cost shouldn't be buried in the cost anyway. If I am paying for it, I deserve the right to know the costs. I can either take it or leave it.
    As far as the "internet" option goes, Yes, you CAN buy the equipment cheaper that way. But you STILL need a PRO to install it. I do not have the time/energy/expertise/desire to learn this trade. That's what I pay him for. He provides a SERVICE, NOT A PRODUCT. I expect him to complete the job in a "workmanlike manner". If your customers complain that your margins are too high then either educate them or walk away from that cheapskate or lower your margins.

You people (here I go!) seem to me to be just looking for an excuse to complain about how much money you make. I WANT YOU TO MAKE MONEY BECAUSE I WILL NEED YOU LATER for service. I am not the enemy. I am paying you for your years of hard earned knowledge and expertise. You don't tell me how to desigh my computerized test stations. I don't tell you how to install HVAC.

P.S. Wear a belt so my wife and kids never see your cheeks. That just isn't right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast