Has anyone heard about anyone installing hydronic on exterior walls? Aluminum faced pex boards conduct heat over top (or interior) very well, and with heat throughout basement and around above ground areas, wall heat should save a few square feet off of installation cost vs. floor heat. Is it possible?

Yeah, it's done all the time. You can use a warmboard-type panel in walls, ceilings, tub surrounds, whatever you want.

or, you can make your own.

This is pretty common in spaces where the heat load is more than the floor can handle.. just stick some more tube in the wall to increase your panel area.

Possible, yes. But If there is more floor area than wall area, then a person could save bucks by doing only the walls. I suppose the down side would only be a lack of zone heat control in different areas of the home. It'd probably get pretty warm towards the middle...

To continue the hypothetical questions...

Do they ever run loops around the outer portion of the flooring on realy large rooms and not in the middle of the room?

Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

I've never seen a perimeter-only system, but I'm sure there are some out there.

Many systems have tighter tube spacing at the perimeter to balance the envelope load.

Don't forget that is you have a tight house that the floors sq. footage is more then you need for heat, you can run the loop temp lower, and save on heating cost in the long run.

Where do you want to save money, once up front, or every time the stat calls for heat.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    And the flip side is that if there is not enough available floor area, you can run a higher temp in the wall or ceiling to get a a higher btu output.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

I would think it would be far better to have a wall emitter then a floor panel anyway.No worry about floor covering,mass
    and being able to control all that mass.

I see wall emitter far better then a floor panel any day,faster responce,less control to deal with verse a floor emitter with certain mass.

And to top it off,you're able to maintain lower water temps thruout

The only thing you lose when going away from a floor panel is warm feet,but you gain so much more by doing so.
    The only down side to a wall panel,is someone who like pictures,and gets crazy with a hammer and nail.