I have a 1998 Trane heat pump. American Standard Inc. The Trane Company Tyler tx model no: TWV036B140A0 with a serial number of D11332785. One half HP motor and 3.3fl amps. volts 200-230.
    My question is that when the air is turned on a repetative clicking can be heard comming from the inside exchange box which houses the evaporator core, the blower motor, a transformer for thermostatic control and some buss/relay looking things....this clicking will stop after turning on the air...but periodically returns and it seems to be increasing in occurence.... what can i do.... relay?
    thank you in advance..... David

A serial number that starts with D is a 1989 unit not 1998. That noise could be nearly anything, you will need a service tech to come out and diagnose your issue first hand, sometimes intermittent problems are the worse ones to locate.

Are you sure the model number starts with TWV and not TWE?

If it is a TWV, that is a vertical only air handler. It has been a long time since Trane made a vertical only residential air handler, so it has to be much older than 1998.

As for the clicking noise, it could be several things, get a tech out to look at it.

Edit: I forgot the compact air handlers, they are vertical only, but that model number isn't even close to the ones they use for the compact units.

[Edited by mark beiser on 05-08-2005 at 11:06 PM]
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

You stated it's a heatpump. Do you hear the "clicking" when the system is in Cool, or Heat. Tranes are known for a chattering or clicking check valve in the air handler of Heat Pumps, when in the Heat mode.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."