I have a 20 year old OEM Lennox G-16, 5 ton, 60% AFUE, Gas Furnace and 4 ton, 9 SEER, AC. The furnace was inspected last fall and is OK. The AC had its first inspection in probably 5 years or so. It is very low on freon. Don't know if it leaked out slowly over a period of years or sprang a big leak recently.

Anyway, the tech said he could run a leak trace for $XXX and the most common source of the leak is the coil, which would cost near $XXX to replace. He also could just replace the freon, which he estimated at needing 7 pounds and costing about $XXX or so.

Also, I have a fiberglass hammock filter. Several years ago, I added a standard 20x25 fiberglass filter as a duplicate system so I only had to change the hammock once a year and changed the 20x25 monthly or so.

Last AC season, I replaced the 20x25 with a pleated type paper filter. Everything was OK until switching to the heating season. Started blowing the 20x25 pleated off its homemade mount. Tech said it might be too much in combination with the hammock for heating even though OK with AC. Switched back to the 20x25 fiberglass, which then blew out a couple of times but seems to have been OK the last few months.

Anyway, my main question is repair or replace? I'm in the Kansas City area (hot & humid summer and cold winter) and am looking at a 13 SEER or so heat pump and 80% gas furnace. If you do suggest repairs, what needs repairing?

That you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Forum Rules

[Edited by lusker on 05-07-2005 at 10:24 PM]

Replacement would get my vote.

Money well spent.

20 yrs. is a good life for an a/c-heating system.

don't bother throwing any money into it at this point.

Forum Rules

[Edited by lusker on 05-07-2005 at 10:25 PM]

florida

When I worked in charlotte county florida the inspectors made us run larger than normal sometimes. you would typically see 2 16" - 20" returns per house if not more on little 3 1/2 ton to 4 ton houses

If the inspectors were more concerned about structural codes than HVAC codes, maybe we might have saved a few lives during the hurricane. Oh well. Down in Lee County, I was at a job where both the plumbing and electric final inspections were signed off on before work was even done. Plumbing fixtures were still sitting in boxes, and the main panel & matching can were also in their respective boxes, sitting right in the entryway. So when 'ol sparky forgot to run ground wires (neutral's good 'nuf, right?), I certainly know how it slipped by.

20 year old Lennox, probably HS18. POS and yes, probably coil leaking. Don't fix!!! And yes, dual fuel makes sense.

Senior Tech Guest
    Read as far as 20 years old....get a new one.

Re: .

Originally posted by craftyone

Re: Re: .

Originally posted by billva
    Originally posted by craftyone
    I can't believe I find this funny!
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

The G16 was a good furnace, I think it was higher than 60, but regardless, 20 years is a good life for a system. I would be really suprised if your indoor coil wasn't leaking, time for a new one.

Replace the system IMO. While your at it, get them to put in a real filter. Get a nice media air cleaner that you don't have to mess with but once a year or so. If you have smokers in the house and can commit to the monthly maintenance for life, get an electronic air cleaner.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.