Confused Feedback Requested - - Choosing a Furnace

Hi,
    My husband and I recently purchased a home and need to replace or fix the furnace. It currently has a Lennox Pulse LB-50527CC which was installed in 1991. Per the serviceman, we can repair it for @ $ or replace it entirely, since the furnace has other issues and is actually oversized for our home (1700 sq ft main floor ranch).

We've received three quotes to date, and are looking at either the 2-stage/2-speed or 2-stage variable models.

What's your opinion?

Carrier 58UVB080:
    Amana AMH95090:
    Amana AMVC95090:
    Lennox G-61: Haven't received price yet.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 02-16-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: removed pricing

Well if it really is oveersized then it costs you a bit more to run every time it comes on.If its oversized then it will short cycle which also costs more.
    Your cjoice of equipment shouldn't even come close to your choice of contractor.The best contractor will give you the best savings.
    So pick the contractor that really wants to offer you the best job by doing a manuel "J" and,AND a manuel "D".
    You will save the most by having the proper size equipment with,WITH the proper size ductwork supply and return.
    Putting a wet finger up in the ai9r and guesssing the right size equipment just won't do.Fuel just costs too much and its not getting cheaper.
    I see that you were afraid to put where you live into your profile so saying that a heat pump might be the bettor idea is just an out of the air guess.

One of the sales reps did complete an analysis and chose a couple of the listed furnaces as good choices. We live in Grand Rapids, Michigan, so we use the furnace quite often. (Unfortunately, more than the A/C!) We are encountering the problem that you listed - - the current furnace is constantly cycling on and off. It's a real nuisance! We have spoken with three qualified reps that we would be happy working with - - now we are left with the issue of choosing the right furnace.

all three oversized.

what size is existing?

IMO

I'm unsure of the current size of our current furnace. I only have the model no. - - Lennox Pulse LB-50527CC. I should amend my initial entry. The main level of the home is 1700 sq ft. It also has a basement. So, it's approximately 2700 sq ft.

savvy

FYI, basements at or partially below grade add very little to heating/cooling load.

you need a load calc.

you might find input/output info on furnace data plate.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Savvyshopper View Post
    I'm unsure of the current size of our current furnace. I only have the model no. - - Lennox Pulse LB-50527CC. I should amend my initial entry. The main level of the home is 1700 sq ft. It also has a basement. So, it's approximately 2700 sq ft.
    If you look inside the cabinet of the furnace, with the top door open, on either of the side panels you'll find the model number of the furnace. The number you posted is a part number for something. The model number should start with this: G21Q...-..-.. The serial number should be below it as well. The first think I would do before repairing it would be to determine what the install date of the furnace was. If it falls within 20 years, have a pressure test done on the heat exchanger because it's still covered under warranty. If it fails the pressure test, Lennox will sell you a G51MP(or comparable single stage 90% furnace) for $575 plus the labor to install it. You can also pay extra money to upgrade the furnace to a better model. If the furnace is past it's 20 years from install, then there is no warranty to any subsequent owner, only the original owner. Did you have a home inspection done when you bought the house? Was a pressure test performed on the furnace prior to buying the house? I would look into this option as it could save you a lot of money.