Thread: 3 ton question

Post Likes
    Will a 3 1/2 ton A-coil with TXV work with a 3 ton condensing unit without changing the TXV to a 3 ton valve? In other words, will the 3.5 ton coil work with 3 ton outdoor section as-is?

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Yes, Check by sub-cooling method though.
    “Now the freaks are on television, the freaks are in the movies. And it’s no longer the sideshow, it’s the whole show. The colorful circus and the clowns and the elephants, for all intents and purposes, are gone, and we’re dealing only with the freaks.” - Jonathan Winters

Post Likes
    yes you can

Post Likes
    I was thinking it probably could, but my experience in using the 1/2 ton bigger indoor coil is more with 10 SEER piston type, not TXV. In piston metering, I would put the 3 ton piston packed with condensing unit in the 3.5 A-coil, with good results. Since TXV's job is to keep evap flooded at a certain superheat, I thought that even a three ton valve should work, but am not a serviceman, so wasn't sure. I'm mostly a sheet metal mechanic, not much service experience.

Thanks for your replys, coolwhip and hvacguy1075.