Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool heater...

My father has a pool heater. It acts like a heat pump. Question is does anyone have experience with this type of heater? It doesn't seem to be doing its job. Any idea on pressures,I will be going over there tomorrow to check it out.

does it use hot gas discharge to heat the pool water?

Yes. Looks like tube inside tube.

Then it is more like a refrigeration system than a heat pump... when you go over there treat it as such and I am sure you can find the problem

If not... get all the info on it as possible and post

I saw one of them leak once, the water in the pool had a nice sheeny glimmer of oil on top of it......nice......
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

dice... while I have you here

I have seen these systems before, but I can't remember how the liquid evaporates... do you remember?

Oil slick..nice. Maybe I can talk him into a gas unit. Saw them for around 1,000.00.

Originally posted by oilman52
    My father has a pool heater. It acts like a heat pump. Question is does anyone have experience with this type of heater? It doesn't seem to be doing its job. Any idea on pressures,I will be going over there tomorrow to check it out.
    It most likely is a heat pump. Give me the manufacturer & model number and if it is an indoor or outdoor pool and I probably can walk you through checking it out.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

I heat my 16,000 gallon pool with a flat-plate heat exchanger. The unit is only 16" tall, 5" wide, and 3" thick and puts out over 150,000 btu/hr. A 5 section Burnham oil boiler (1.35 gph input) barely keeps up!!

Thanks Delta T ,I will have info for you this weekend.

I work on several Heat Pump pool heaters. They only hold about three pounds r-22. Pull it out and recharge, they are critically chraged. It is realy hard to get SH and SC because you have to take the top off.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Originally posted by karsthuntr
    I work on several Heat Pump pool heaters. They only hold about three pounds r-22. Pull it out and recharge, they are critically chraged. It is realy hard to get SH and SC because you have to take the top off.
    Don't mean to rain on your parade but pulling the charge and recharging might just be unnecessary. A simple thing like proper water flow through the heat exchanger could be and probably is the or one of the problems. Pulling the charge and recharging just puts you back to the original problem if the other factors aren't looked at first.

And I have a few heat pump pool heaters that use over 20 lbs plus of refrigerant because they come in all sizes, makes and applications.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Damn, now my float is getting wet.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast