Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    With any given manufacturer, would the installation of a variable speed air handler with two stage heat pump as compared to installation of single stage HP with multiple speed air handler be any more expensive or time comsuming? I need to be able to convince builder that it will not require any more effort on his part other than running few more wires for thermostat. This of course, is aside from increased cost of the equipment.

Well, All that high tech stuff is great. and yes only a couple more wires to pull to T- Stat and to the out door unit. BUT The risk on the builders thinking may be that it is new and untested to him.SO have the HVAC SYSTEM including the duct work installed buy a TRUE high end company that will do a full heat load with returns in each room and with supplies in the proper location. Most buliders do not want anything to do with anybody but his own SUBcontractors.And SUB is the key prefix!
    Good Luck.

I would prefer that he give me credit for his base system and do exactly what you suggest but this is not going to happen. The best I will be able to do is talk him into a variable speed air handler and maybe 2 stage heat pump. I want to offer some convincing argument that it will not require more effort or time on his part. The air handler will be in crawl space above ceiling on top floor.

The only difference as far as installation effort goes is the number of conductors in the control wires, I run 10 conductor control wire inside and out for every HP system anyway, and the weight of the outdoor unit.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

This is what I hoped I would hear. Now the next problem is that I think he is using Goodman units but I do not think Goodman makes a two stage heat pump. They do have a 13 seer unit but he is offering a 12 seer. Goodman has a variable speed air handler that can be installed in crawl space from what I have read.

TRANE. read my words TRANE

NO FLEX DUCT WORK

Trane would be wonderful as would Lennox and some others. But Goodman is what I am going to get can only hope that I will get a "quality" installation. Again from what I have read, many of the components are made by same manufacturers as high end units. In any event, manufacturer choice is beyond my control.

Unless the house is already sold, I would think a builder who is contructing a spec house would be wiser to install a 13 SEER system even if its a 12 matched to achieve 13. He really wouldnt want to be sitting on that house after the 1st of the year with a lower than current standard system. No, it's not the law but its a valuable bullet point in his listing.

13 SEER Goodman is a good unit, Not the best, but has the same compressor that everyone else is using, and has a great warranty. It also mates well with variable speed air handler. Both worth the small increase in cost.
    Variable speed is for comfort mostly, does a better job of humidity control and temp control.

There should be no difference other than thermostat and its wiring.
    Perhaps he uses a really lame install crew that uses cartoons to install units, and they don't have a cartoon for a variable speed air handler. In that case, you are going to have problems no matter what equipment you get.

Like others said, afew more lowvoltage stat wires, acouple more minutes wiring them in, and about an extra 30 to 45 minutes checking the unit to make sure it operating correctly.

Wheres robo, he can tell you if goodman has a 2 stage heatpump.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It's your money, Find a different builder or another home.

I am going to try and talk to the developer's HVAC guy to discuss the situation. This is a pre construction deal and the townhouse has already gone up $51K and they have not broken ground. If they resist my efforts to install the VS, I may just have to tear out thier install and have a real pro do the reinstall. I would not think it would be more than $3K and may be worth it. This developer will not even consider putting in extra returns in bedrooms or transfer or jump ducts. Not required in SC as they use two large central area returns, one for each floor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast