Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Micro Channel Condenser and High Head

Just completed a warranty compressor change out on a York Sunline 3 ton RTU. After weighing in factory charge and running the unit in cooling to verify proper operation we found the head pressure fairly quickly (less than 2 mins) elevating to above 500 psi and trip out on high head. I was testing in a relatively low ambient (approx 40F). Coil is clear, OFM running in the right direction.

After consulting with the local York rep, he figures this is due to a lack of internal area in the condenser for a surplus of liquid refrigerant to stack up, as is possible with a traditional tube style condenser. He said he`s encountered this with the Micro Channel coils and low load/low ambient in the past.

Does this explanation sound legit? Anyone else encountered this?

Don't know what your metering device is , but sounds restricted. Local guys whose co. uses York hate those coils. Just what they whine about at the supply house. What did the suction side do?

Sounds about right to me.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

I wanted to post here so I can follow this thread. I have had evap. Coils slugged with oil do this. And like the other guy said,what did the suction do? What metering device u using?
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

The unit has a txv and suction pressure was around 120 psig.

Quote Originally Posted by refer madness View Post
    The unit has a txv and suction pressure was around 120 psig.
    As far as the discharge line piping goes is there a "trap" in between the compressor and the inlet of the condenser? Is it a hard shut off TXV or does it bleed somewhat?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

is r-22? r 410-a?

Just completed a warranty compressor change out on a York Sunline 3 ton RTU. After weighing in factory charge and running the unit in cooling to verify proper operation we found the head pressure fairly quickly (less than 2 mins) elevating to above 500 psi and trip out on high head. I was testing in a relatively low ambient (approx 40F). Coil is clear, OFM running in the right direction.

After consulting with the local York rep, he figures this is due to a lack of internal area in the condenser for a surplus of liquid refrigerant to stack up, as is possible with a traditional tube style condenser. He said he`s encountered this with the Micro Channel coils and low load/low ambient in the past.

Does this explanation sound legit? Anyone else encountered this?
    From the number, my guess is 410A freon.

I think the York rep's explaination is BS.
    I think the scale you used was probably inaccurated. Please read the total charge and weight it in again with a different scale. It does not take much to over cahrge this micro-channel condenser coil system.

On checking your charge.
    Is there any fan cycling with that unit ?
    120 psi looks like 41*

What's next coil heaters ?

I have been on the phone with factory guys and can tell you some things they have told me. Example: hey factory guy, your nameplate charge isnt right." Well, yeah, we havent quite gotten these new refrigerants down yet, we were pretty good with r22, but still experimenting with r410. set it up for eight to ten subcooling, and fifteen superheat, and go from there......."

Look at actuall conditions and charge accordingly. if no restriction, take some juice out lad.

I think you guys are right about this being an overcharge. I'll be back at site tomorrow morning and will adjust the charge as needed. Really appreciate all the quick feedback.

To answer a couple of other questions:

* Not sure whether the TXV is hard shut off or bleed type, but will try to find out.
    * No fan cycling installed
    * This is indeed R-410A

I think you guys are right about this being an overcharge. I'll be back at site tomorrow morning and will adjust the charge as needed. Really appreciate all the quick feedback.

* Not sure whether the TXV is hard shut off or bleed type, but will try to find out.
    * This is indeed R-410A
    Take 1% of the charge out and see what happens. 410a is a weird animal.
    UA 100

* This is indeed R-410A
    I think you're on the right track. I've seen this on a microchannel York 5t with a partially clogged strainer as well. You should be able to pump it all down as it is nameplate. If you can't you know they gave wrong data. If you can, check the txv strainer as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast