Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HVAC Air Filter

Originally posted by chillbilly
    Oh OK.
    I misunderstood. I thought that the poster was asserting that ALL filters were there to protect equipment. My bad.
    I think were on the same page but just to clarify...All filters are there to protect the equipment, some have additional fucntions such as IAQ. But thier first job is to protect the equipment. My point was that by adding additional fuctions you increase the workload and work costs money.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by docholiday
    Originally posted by chillbilly
    Oh OK.
    I misunderstood. I thought that the poster was asserting that ALL filters were there to protect equipment. My bad.
    I think were on the same page but just to clarify...All filters are there to protect the equipment, some have additional fucntions such as IAQ. But thier first job is to protect the equipment. My point was that by adding additional fuctions you increase the workload and work costs money.
    [/QUOTE

The majority of the HVAC industry is on the wrong page when it comes to IAQ. There is no scientific evidence that forced air filters have an effect on IAQ. The real joke is when the airhandler is in the crawl and there is a return filter grill. We as an industry need to place a lot more emphasis on designing and installing systems properly and less on voodoo remedies that don't work.

Removing dust improves IAQ. Leaky ductwork is another issue all together. Good filtration, UV lights, proper humidity control, all play an important role in IAQ when properly applied.

Dust can't make you sick--only particles less than 2.5 microns can be entrained in the lungs. Again, tests in Canada on real homes have shown that the particle count of both larger and smaller particles are not decreased to any extent by use of any type of filter including HEPA in a forced air system. UV lights have not shown any reduction in organisms in the home. In fact the Trane corporate position is that "UV-C light has little effect on reducing many airborne microbes in ducted systems, particularly with respect to the spore forms of microorganisms". Controlling humidity is a different story altogether. This does make a difference, and the residential building and HVAC industry does not do a good job of controlling this important item. Again, we as an industry need to concentrate on things that do improve peoples homes and lives rather than selling products that don't.

Originally posted by uktra
    Dust can't make you sick--only particles less than 2.5 microns can be entrained in the lungs. Again, tests in Canada on real homes have shown that the particle count of both larger and smaller particles are not decreased to any extent by use of any type of filter including HEPA in a forced air system. UV lights have not shown any reduction in organisms in the home. In fact the Trane corporate position is that "UV-C light has little effect on reducing many airborne microbes in ducted systems, particularly with respect to the spore forms of microorganisms". Controlling humidity is a different story altogether. This does make a difference, and the residential building and HVAC industry does not do a good job of controlling this important item. Again, we as an industry need to concentrate on things that do improve peoples homes and lives rather than selling products that don't.

I agree uktra and there is no doubt that more can be done.

Let me assure you of this;
    Dust can and will make you sick and I am walking proof of that. I developed a severe dust allergy that came upon me quite rapidly and went away almost as fast.
    Dust was impinged in my sinuses and lungs and was attributed to INDOOR living conditions.
    The manufacturer that I deal with told me that the media I use in my home removes 80% of the dust and particulate in the airstream. I took him at his word.
    Not one time did he associate filtration with equipment protection. I was assuming that the washable filter was the only filter designed for equipment protection. Wrong!
    Obviously, 80% is not nearly enough filtration.

Chillbilly--I am glad you no longer have a problem. Perhaps dust mites were really the problem rather than dust. Were you tested? Yes the filter may trap 80% of certain size particles in the airstream in your system. The real problem is the vast majority of particles in the home DON'T GET INTO THE FORCED AIR SYSTEM. They tend to settle on surfaces in the home, and are stired up with any kind of activity.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123