Right now I am looking for a job. Had an interview yesterday that was almost funny, but was really sad.

In the San Jose SF area most operating engineers jobs are $30 to $34 per hour with benifits, that is unless the employeer is paying over scale.

Ice and cold storage plant, NH3. I have little or no experience with NH3, just grew up around it before going to the maritiime academy. Thought I would put in for job, at 57 not many people are responding to my resume.

The plant manager is getting excited about the experience that I have. when I told him that I had rebuilt compressors before his comment was "you are familar with compressors?" In describing work experience I comented that I believed that all work should be done in house.

Then he ask how I felt about being on call, I explained that If I am compensated I understand it comes with the job. He agrees, If I come in I will be paid. We have a disucssion if he is talking about having to be avable as stay in town or just keep the phone with me.

Then he explains that I will not be getting all that money that I got in the high rose, their rate is only $23 per hour. I told him it would not be fair for me to take the job because I still will be looking and will leave.

As I was driving away the thought came to me are they nutz. The only one that they are going to get to work there are people that I would not let touch a piece of equipment with a wrench. Over 800,000 square feet of cold storage, plus docks, and offices. a new plant to boot. How much did that plant cost and they want to turn it over to handymen.

That would be like buying a fancy car and looking for a shade tree mechanic to work on it to save money.

What is wrong with people
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

That's great that you walked away. Maybe it will be a wake up call to them. By the way I am getting out of in house maintenance for the same type treatment, they don't appreciate what you are and what you can do and how much you save, they just always want more. Pay me now or pay me later, but your going to Pay me.
    It's a Leak!

Na, they will never get it. they think that anyone can keep equipment worth millions working and all they have to pay is pennies. It always amazes me.

Hmm

The High Cost, Of Cheap Over The Boarder Labor?
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

42yrs exp is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address
    I have had my share of inside HVACR maintenance jobs. They never want to pay anything decent.I did learn a very valuable lesson, and this is it. When you are doing inside maintenance you are costing the owners money. The more they pay you the less they get. So they hire someone (maybe your boss or his boss)to keep the operating costs down. They get paid big bucks to keep the operating costs down,which means paying you(or someone like you) as little as possible. You are probably worth double what they are paying you, but not in their eyes.In their eyes the less they pay the more they make.

When you work for an outside contractor you are bringing money into the company, and because you are making money for the company they can pay you a lot more.

Originally posted by 42yrs exp
    I have had my share of inside HVACR maintenance jobs. They never want to pay anything decent.I did learn a very valuable lesson, and this is it. When you are doing inside maintenance you are costing the owners money. The more they pay you the less they get. So they hire someone (maybe your boss or his boss)to keep the operating costs down. They get paid big bucks to keep the operating costs down,which means paying you(or someone like you) as little as possible. You are probably worth double what they are paying you, but not in their eyes.In their eyes the less they pay the more they make.

When you work for an outside contractor you are bringing money into the company, and because you are making money for the company they can pay you a lot more.
    That is the mentality of a lot of plant operators or building owners.
    You have a man on a production line making 1.2 units of product a minute it is easy to see how much money he is bring in.

You have a man keeping a production line running with a 1000 men producing 1.2 units a minute some how he is only costing the company money and they get nothing out of him. DA

Snipe,
    I think you were just way over qualified. The current trend for in-house is to hire a cheaper tech to handle the BS calls. If the call gets tough, they call in a contractor.

The days of most plants doing repairs in-house are all but over. Applied Materials, Intel, and even IBM have moved away from doing repairs in-house. What techs they have left are nothing more than "gauge tappers".

Linden,
    Wish I could argue with you. I see the stationary engineer as a dieing profession.

It's Your Age!
    They Know That You Are A Pro. And Want To Be Paid As Such,This Is Not a Trade Any More, We Are Not Paid To Fix, We Are Paid To Change Parts, And Ask No Question, Remenber When You Went To A Service Call, And The Customer Was Happy To see You!.... Today It Is How Much....And Is It Still Under Warranty?.....Not That You Are Protecing There Investment.......Today We Fight Each Other To See How Low we can Go, Just To Get Money Running Thur The Books,.....Don't Fix It Wright, Just Change A Part, And Move On,......If I Am Wrong Tell Me?
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Out sourcing is the big catch phrase they like now. On our campus the big shots have out-sourced all the cafaterias to aramark, all the book stores to barns and knobles, coffee shops to starbucks, janitorial is on the block now, then its HVAC, elect, plumb, carp. What they should do is outsource the big shots. The hope is the contractor that takes over will pick us up.

In house maintenace used to be so great. It save the building or property owners a lot of money lets face it. On rease this work is being outsoursed is because the people that these places promoted to supervise was the ones who couldn't fix a bleeep thing! I just left in house because I was tired of the threats about outsourcing. I'm trying to get the company I work for now threw risk managemnet and will be right back in. It's a game. It's called pay me now or pay me more later. Another reason in house maint is going away is because it is always looked at as a overhead. If they were only smart enough to see the difference they would be paying a contractor they would probably shut up. They are just scared to death the contractor, who by the way will tell them anything to get in, would actually save them money. In short, they don't care about you or your family or how much time and effort you've put in for them. YOU ARE A $$$ sign to them and that is not a good thing.
    It's a Leak!