We are a small shop try to grow. We currently have 2 installation crews and are looking to add another crew. We are also thinking about promoting internal a guy to installation manager. I have an ideal of what this job role entails but was wondering what you guys expect from an installation manager's role. What is the job description for this role.

[Edited by BC1 on 05-04-2005 at 12:59 PM]

When I was an install manager my duties were:

Scheduling for the entire department
    Training both class room and field
    Quality assurance checks and inspections
    Equipment ordering and shipping
    Customer satisfaction
    Collecting for jobs completed
    Schedule weekend rotation for weekend installations
    Since we were a small shop I also sold jobs and gave quotes
    Collecting or getting signed any and all paper work necessary
    Hiring of new helpers or installers
    Asigning responsibility for any and all duties in the department that needed to be delegated.

I also was a field supervising tech for service and commercial tech for service as well.

Personally, I believe an install manager should pave the way for the crew to get accomplished as much as is possible.
    Look for anthing that could possibly ensnare your men, (trip them up) from doing their very best.

A ton of time is wasted each day due to someone else's errors and ommissions.

"Materials not delivered on time"
    "Materials not set where they will be needed"
    "Wrong materials"
    "Mis-read plans, wrong work done"
    "Workers rushed, shoddy work"
    "Workers lack specialty tools"
    "Workers lack proper safety equip"
    "Workers lack necessary equip: ladders, cords, etc"
    "Improper lighting to do the work"
    "THE WEATHER"
    "Journeyman lacks helper"
    "Coordination with other trades is lacking"

And the list can go on & on.
    Anyone who expects the workers to handle every detail and take care of every pot hole in their path ... is simply stupid.
    A good supervisor has a ulcer because they spend so much time worrying over their crew, their men.

A good man, a good journey level worker already has more than a full time job on his hands. He is there to do the work.
    And he does not neet the added responsibility nor worry about all those other details.
    That is what a manager is for in the first place.

That is also what seperates employees from sub contractors.

Unfortunately, many managers want to treat their men like subs. Dumping their own responsibilities onto their workers while they do other things.

A good manager enables his men. A lousy manager micro manages them, disects their every move and action.

I like good managers. The industry needs more of them.

Originally posted by R12rules
    Personally, I believe an install manager should pave the way for the crew to get accomplished as much as is possible.
    Look for anthing that could possibly ensnare your men, (trip them up) from doing their very best.

A ton of time is wasted each day due to someone else's errors and ommissions.

"Materials not delivered on time"
    "Materials not set where they will be needed"
    "Wrong materials"
    "Mis-read plans, wrong work done"
    "Workers rushed, shoddy work"
    "Workers lack specialty tools"
    "Workers lack proper safety equip"
    "Workers lack necessary equip: ladders, cords, etc"
    "Improper lighting to do the work"
    "THE WEATHER"
    "Journeyman lacks helper"
    "Coordination with other trades is lacking"

And the list can go on & on.
    Anyone who expects the workers to handle every detail and take care of every pot hole in their path ... is simply stupid.
    A good supervisor has a ulcer because they spend so much time worrying over their crew, their men.

A good man, a good journey level worker already has more than a full time job on his hands. He is there to do the work.
    And he does not neet the added responsibility nor worry about all those other details.
    That is what a manager is for in the first place.

That is also what seperates employees from sub contractors.

Unfortunately, many managers want to treat their men like subs. Dumping their own responsibilities onto their workers while they do other things.

A good manager enables his men. A lousy manager micro manages them, disects their every move and action.

I like good managers. The industry needs more of them.
    VERY well said...can you go talk to my boss??????
    How much is it an hour?