Thread: BAS Lifespan

barbera coleman network 8000 circa 1990 in bad shape I mean dampers disconnected not a whole lot working . Would you overhaul system or install new one ?
    is this really happening or not

Have BARBER COLMAN NETWORK 8000 systems installed in mid 80's still working great.

Disconnected dampers are not always a BAS fault usually poor MAINT or customers who want to save $ and not fix things.

I would do a full inspection of the system and see what it can do before deciding on an overhaul or replacement

Have some from the 80' as well, still doing fine. Give er' the once over , make a lsit of what it will take to repair and get into working order. You'll sell that more readily then replacing the whole system.
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

I'm finding 80's/early 90's stuff to be better off w/planned replacement. Too much infancy in modern DDC. IMO.

Plus the costs are driving down, not up. Replacement of like for like is more expensive than new.

I"m inclined to agree with sysint although I respect what control man and others are able to do . And your right can"t blame busted actuators on the control system . But even the monitor seems old and outdated .

Sysint could you give more reasons why you would replace .
    is this really happening or not

• Actuator lifespans in that time.
    • New ASC controllers are really inexpensive, especially in quantity.
    • Open protocol LON allows you to go a node at a time.
    • The ability to use Ethernet backbone to hop around a building.
    • Unsupported software and OS systems.
    ....For a few reasons. I always ask the building owner how long he keeps his car before getting a new one. Everything is relative.

I have customers who want to UPGRADE their BAS in the same manner some people upgrade their computers * EVERYTIME something new of more POWERFUL * shows up on the market.

Also have customers that have TIGHT $ restraints so they go for the lets keep it running.

ASK your customer what he has to spend $ wise before you put a lot of time & effort into quoting something they may not be able to afford.

I changed a monitor this morning that I installed in 1990 was the best $ could buy at the time , hope the new 1 lasts a few years.

I have customers who want to UPGRADE their BAS in the same manner some people upgrade their computers * EVERYTIME something new of more POWERFUL * shows up on the market.
    .... why I like the Lonworks. One piece at a time. I have also upgraded early 90's products with recent LON products with no problems. Thats over 12 years of backward compatibility... I have other systems that can't go 5 years back.