Relocation motivation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    danny x Guest
    What work related incentive would it take for you to relocate from another state? With in reason of course. What terms or working conditions do you feel would have to be met?

For starters

1. A healthy and safe working environment.
    2. Having some control on your daily activities.
    3. Making $21 to $23 (4/4/05) an hour for residential work. Depending on the cost of living
    4. Being able to give some input to the problems of the day
    5. Getting two or three weeks paid vacation a year.
    6. Having a company truck and taking it home at night.
    7. Being sent to a paid HVAC seminar once in a while.
    8. Extra pay for "On call duty."
    9. Get 6% commission for selling equip.while being a tech.
    10 Having a boss that values your input.
    11.Not being under a lot of pressure all of the time.
    12.Getting help on the job when you ask for it.
    13.Getting overtime once in a while.
    14.Not being talked down to.
    15.Having all or some of my medical paid.
    16.Getting a raise.
    17.Company supplied vacuum pump,rec.machine,recovery tank.
    18.Having a 401K plan that the company contributes to.

Are you wanting a technician, manager, installer, or something else?
    Commercial, residential, refrigeration, controls, or something else?
    Any opportunities to advance?
    Relocation assistance or temporary housing?

If I didn't get 100% of that list and a few other things you wouldn't get me even interested unless it was a nice city or a place I was wanting to get into like maybe in California coast, or some place on the east coast with population close to 1 million or larger. Places that large though typically don't have a shortage though so looks like Dallas stays home .

The crime rate and the schools in the area if you plan on having a family.

danny x Guest
    Thanks for replying SWAT,

3. Making $21 to $23 (4/4/05) an hour for residential work. Depending on the cost of living
    What if you had a base pay of $X and received X% of each service call you completed. Let’s go beyond that and say for each man that you were responsible for you would also collect a percentage of HIS completed calls. Responsibilities however would have to be defined. This would also carry over into installations, for every installation completed that you were responsible for you would collect a percentage of. These percentages would have nothing to do with the sale of the installation, or the scheduling of the service call, just work preformed.

5. Getting two or three weeks paid vacation a year.
    What if there was an annuity system that would pay into your vacation according to profit of direct sales of your service calls, installations sales, and completed installations.

8. Extra pay for "On call duty."
    With the amount earned per service call, or per man that you would be responsible for on call, it would be difficult to achieve a higher pay rate. Although after hours services requires the customer to pay for “overtime” service charges and fees, which would in turn increase your overall profit per call.

9. Get 6% commission for selling equip.while being a tech
    What if that number was increased to 25-30%, however the replacement would have to be legitimate.

13.Getting overtime once in a while.
    As long as the calls are there you would be able to do them.

15.Having all or some of my medical paid.
    With the base pay system you would be covered under our company as an employee, and eligible for coverage, however realizing the needs of different people and there families are not the same, adjustments would have to be made. For instance a family man with a wife and 3 kids would have different medical coverage needs than 18 year old man (this is a typical example, and of course the young man could require the same medical benefits)

17.Company supplied vacuum pump,rec.machine,recovery tank.
    This would be standard unless the technician had a personal preference for specific equipment, perhaps an “allowance” could be made for the untimely event that the technician’s equipment should fail on the job.

18.Having a 401K plan that the company contributes to.
    There are other “retirement” plans available and again would be offered.

Are you wanting a technician, manager, installer, or something else?
    Commercial, residential, refrigeration, controls, or something else?
    Any opportunities to advance?

It would depend on the ability of the applicant and where they would like to end up in the company. Of course the more responsibilities you take on, the more money you make. We currently install and repair Heating and Air Conditioning, and some refrigeration(however are going to increase our exposure to domestic and commercial refrigeration) Domestic/Commercial appliance repair is also a possible avenue for us. It is a flexible atmosphere, if you came to me and said, “Dan I really want to give duct cleaning a whirl.” We would sit down and look at how to make it possible. Naturally the project would be yours(with our full support) and you would receive a larger end of the profits. I would think that being said the opportunity to advance would be unlimited.

Relocation assistance or temporary housing?
    I am not quite sure how to approach this one yet.

If I didn't get 100% of that list and a few other things you wouldn't get me even interested unless it was a nice city or a place I was wanting to get into like maybe in California coast, or some place on the east coast with population close to 1 million or larger. Places that large though typically don't have a shortage though so looks like Dallas stays home .

This is Long Island NY, there is a growing shortage which I think spans the entire country.

The rest of your concerns I grouped into one thought. What if instead of a job with a boss it was a team with a goal. I don’t want the best that the HVAC/R industry has to offer on my team and be unhappy. A person’s attitude affects not only their work, but can affect their fellow teammates as well, and the one that suffers in the end is the customer we are providing a service to.

1. A healthy and safe working environment.
    2. Having some control on your daily activities.
    4. Being able to give some input to the problems of the day
    6. Having a company truck and taking it home at night.
    7. Being sent to a paid HVAC seminar once in a while.
    9..10 Having a boss that values your input.
    11.Not being under a lot of pressure all of the time.
    12.Getting help on the job when you ask for it.
    14.Not being talked down to.
    16.Getting a raise.

Dan

And what part of the country is this? It sounds like sub contracting to a point. But if it is a tradditional system and depending on the rate of pay you can get just about any level of tech you want.

Dan, ever think of opening an office in Santa Rosa, San Luis Obispo, or Santa Barbara ....?

With what you've expressed .... I would be willing to talk with you myself.

But Long Island is too cold for my taste.

I wish there were more like yourself. To few in number.

danny x Guest
    Swat

I would not like to consider it subtracting, I would like to consider it employment with the opportunity to be properly motivated. What happens on a hot day (or more often here in NY a cold day) when the phone is ringing off the hook and you happen to be a fast and effiecnt technician? For me at the last company I worked for it meant I would be very busy that day (and perhaps into the night), while some of my other fellow techs would move like slugs. Most of the techs would do as little as possible on each call to complete it and get to the next 7-11 or deli to grab a cup of coffee; no real drive to get to the next call. No real compensation for being faster or controlling your call back percentage, except perhaps for that quarter or dollar raise every year. To top it off I was on call every other week for $100 dollars, the first 4 calls were included in the $100(I was paid $100 weather I went out or not), I was paid $25 dollars for each additional call after the first four. I toped out at $20 an hour with no room for any advancement in pay (obviously, I told him I was leaving and he didn’t stop me). I started off in this trade very egger to learn; by the time I finished up at the last company, I hated the service industry. Doctors don’t even make house calls at 12 midnight anymore, but we do was my attitude. I never felt like I was compensated for giving up great years of my life. And yes my boss had the big house, Mercedes, and weekends off, and yes I was at the time, angry about that.

The key sentence in that whole paragraph is the following.

I never felt like I was compensated for giving up great years of my life.

I now own my own company, and have the chance to employ other “Dans” out there. The hardest thing for me to do would be to keep up call volume so my team could make as much money as they could stand. A true subcontractor is a separate entity, with its own insurance, legal headaches, and day to day business nightmares. More times than not they are FULLY responsible for their actions with no one to turn to. I am not looking to add more stress to my team; I want them focused on the task at hand, and to be well compensated for it. Being on the books at even a small denomination qualifies you for social security credits, company medical benefits, as well as the simple IRA program for your retirement, believe it or not there is no reason to die with a wrench in your hand unless you really desire to. The “performance pay” or “percentage pay” rewards those seasoned techs who have put their time in and know the ropes, and rewards those younger guys who don’t mind working that 12 hour day to buy a house. For those techs that are natural leaders or enjoying teaching and work well with other men, the sky is the limit. All the while you don’t have to learn about ST-100s, Corporation taxes, and worrying who’s check may or may not clear.

This set up is not for everyone, just as our team would not want just anyone working with us, which is the reason behind the heading “relocation motivation” I am sure without a doubt there are very talented people out there reading this forum who don’t post much and who are not properly compensated. What would it take to get those people to perhaps change their life? It’s not a perfect system which is why I reached out to you guys, other techs out there like me who want to live a comfortable life, without handing there life over.

R-12

I would consider anything; I have a very open mind. New York is a tuff place to make it(the summers have not been so great the last few seasons either, temps only in the 80's-summer is 3 months long). The average starter home is now close to $400,000. The average property taxes close to where I live are between 6 and 10 thousand a year. The best non union techs top out at $25 an hour, the average tech starts at $9-$10 and may level out for a long awhile at $17-$19, installers make much less than that. So the “average” tech makes about 40-42 thousand a year or $400 (in the pocket) or so a week without OT. With performance pay you could make more than $400 a day.

Think about that for a second, at $42,000 a year you walk away with around $20,000 or so depending upon how you file. Your taxes are $8000 for the year, and lets not forget the note on the house. If your note plus taxes are close to even $1900 a month, how are you supposed to survive as A HVAC technician?

When the house you want to buy for your family starts that high and needs so much work, it almost seems impossible to get.

Almost that is, I feel I have a better way.

Dan

Dan, with your ideas .... you could be the honest version of Comfort Systems USA or George Brazil.

I like what I am hearing.

Danny send me an email at hvacjack@ak.net with some details.These Alaska winters are getting longer every year and the 30 feet of snow a year in this part of the state gets higher ever year.If you are wanting to go commercial or industrial refrigeration-lets at least talk.Is this like in the city of new york ya see on tv?Anyways, I'm at a point in life where I'm ready for a change.Lets talk-throw in a phone number too if ya want.

I would love to go west to start my career as long as i make enough money to pay rent and the truck payment i would be happy nothing beats being out in the mountains and enjoying the outdoors i plan on moving west in the future job or no job

Still waiting on the details of this better way.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by R12rules
    [B]Dan, with your ideas .... you could be the honest version of Comfort Systems USA or George Brazil.

r12....would be interested to know what you mean as far as comfort Systems USA or George Brazil ( honest version) ???? I dont know anything about George Brazil but I have seen the comfort systems USA trucks around and know they are a real big company.....I have always wondered about them. Seem to have a pretty good equipment but I have always wondered how employees were treated. I take it their not union but I may be wrong there. I take it they started out and became a consolidater

[Edited by dec on 08-11-2005 at 11:14 PM]

good weather and good economy, is that asking too much

went from an avg of over 100 inches of snow to an avg of 6in. last winter got less than an inch.

went from happy to have a job to a place where techs are in shortage. i am on my third job in a little over a year. i found the job i have been looking for, i could have worked for 10 places and still have many to try out till i found the good one. i happen to find it in three, not 20. but there is 20 places i could have tried and they are all hiring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast