Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Compression fittings for liquid and suction line??

Some new condensor units come with compression fittings to attach the liquid and suction lines to the condensor. Is this just as good as brazing???

Haven't seen any yet, which units have you seen with compression?

How can it be ?

It goes back to the self piercing lineset days.
    And leaks soon after.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

You sure wouldn't be installing one for anyone I know, there junk. Complete junk!

Is he talking about mini-splits?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Are you talking about compression fittings or flare fittings? I don't know of anyone using compression fittings and they have never been considered suitable for refrigeration, as far as I am aware.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Carrier used them for years on there a/h,that where you always found the leak.

Originally posted by simpleman
    Carrier used them for years on there a/h,that where you always found the leak.

Yep. I recently found one on a Carrier heat pump air handler. Even the instructions that came with the unit had directions on how to repair the leak by sweating. If they knew in advance the connection might be problematic, wouldn't it be better to make one that was not rather than write alternate leak repair instructions? Sure doesn't reflect well on that genius design.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Smile compression fittings

back in the 80's when I was doing quite a bit of residential work we were handling Climatrol and Fedders units. These had compression fittings and were a real pain for leaks. York also had them on the old Champion units (looked like a tombstone). The best way I found was to use the compression fitting and then StaBrite the joint.
    Dave

Swagelok

A properly applied Swagelok compression fitting will NOT leak.

Many years ago while doing some R&D work the Swagelok fitting was used to build up systems. They passed helium mass spectrometry leak testing and have been used for years in other industries.

Brazing or soldering is much cheaper and very reliable.

The only time a compression fitting makes sense is when brazing is not practicle or unsafe.

http://www.swagelok.com

Those fittings

Quote Originally Posted by gary6768 View Post
    Some new condensor units come with compression fittings to attach the liquid and suction lines to the condensor. Is this just as good as brazing???
    I've seen them on new Trane units. Take a peek into the condenser unit and they are on the compressor. Also, pop your car hood. Nothing but compression types. The flare types hold tight. The ones in the old auto are used with aluminum though. It's a very soft metal.

.... Halloween must be very close... It seems there is another grave of a old dead thread coming back alive...... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Runnn ... Hide behind your service trucks..... Lolllll

Quote Originally Posted by AC Talker View Post
    I've seen them on new Trane units. Take a peek into the condenser unit and they are on the compressor. Also, pop your car hood. Nothing but compression types. The flare types hold tight. The ones in the old auto are used with aluminum though. It's a very soft metal.
    Are you talking about the rotolock fittings? I've found them to be pretty reliable. If they do leak it's either from working loss or the line not being lined up perfectly when it's installed. Easier said than done on a 30 ton scroll....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast