Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corned Beef

Thumbs up Corned Beef

If you've never tried it on the grill you don't know what your missing. Just buy that traditional corn beef brisket that you always get, trim the fat and throw it on the grill and cook it slow. You can use the spice packet but don't add salt, enjoy!

Ive thought about throwing one in the smoker before. but again Ive never bought one so not sure the "traditional" way of cooking it is.

Most people just simma with cabbage.

I do the corned beef in a crock pot for about 8 hour. After slicing, it is easy to cut with a fork.
    I do the cabbage by boiling it in sections, about 5 minutes with a bit of lemon juice.
    Serve it buttered with a pinch of salt & pepper.
    Cabbage cooked more than about 7 minutes begins to really smell stronger, or so the internet cooking sites say.

yes it does...i have a recipe for shredded cabbage and bacon drippings.

shred cabbage
    boil for 1-2 min till it turns a bright green
    throw in a hot cast iron skillet that you have cooked bacon in
    add caraway seeds and crushed croutons...toss n serve

anything over 2 min with shredded cabbage and it gets slimy and stinky

Quote Originally Posted by REECHMAN View Post
    Most people just simma with cabbage.
    don't forget the mustard and vinegar when you eat it.

My wife eats this %&*@ out of a can. She has since lost a brownie point from me. Might as well eat spam I think.

i do grill corned beef quite often. i will boil the packet witth some water and beef stock, let it cool, and inject it into the briscut. then i cook the meat on a rack in a pan with the remaining liquid untill the last half of cooking. then i pour the smoke to it. usually apple.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post
    My wife eats this %&*@ out of a can. She has since lost a brownie point from me. Might as well eat spam I think.

Yea, I kinda like the Crap In the Can... Kinda like Biting your Toenails. My Wife will Not Eat Any Canned Meat, period. Most all (canned) Corned Beef comes from Argentina or Brazil. Might be Horse?

I'll have to try cooking Real Corned Beef on the grill.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    don't forget the mustard and vinegar when you eat it.
    You put both or one on top when it's in your plate? That's a new one on me but hey, I'll try it.
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

I've done it on the grill and it did come out good, partly wrapped in foil to keep the juice in. Lately been playing with a pressure cooker and did the corned beef. 1 hour with beer and spices, came out awesome!

Recently I have been cooking the canned corned beef hash. But I put an easy twist to it. Once the can is opened I take a butter knife and run it around the inside of the can. The hash will then slide out in one piece. Then I slice the log of hash into four patties. Then I fry these in a cast iron pan with some grease just like a hamburger.

They form a nice brown crispy crust that tastes great with a couple of eggs-over.

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Recently I have been cooking the canned corned beef hash. But I put an easy twist to it. Once the can is opened I take a butter knife and run it around the inside of the can. The hash will then slide out in one piece. Then I slice the log of hash into four patties. Then I fry these in a cast iron pan with some grease just like a hamburger.

They form a nice brown crispy crust that tastes great with a couple of eggs-over.
    We will have to BBQ some of them for breakfast this year!!

You can also drop the egg right on top of them and cover to cook. Hmmm, I might have breakfast for dinner tonight!

I grew up on that Ben, except it's hard to keep it in patty form. I do spam the same way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast