We are undertaking an HVAC upgrade from PLC to DDC on a large onshore gas processing plant using a Carrier CCN system. A requirement is to check the health status of each processor and module so that in the event of a failure the DDC control system will be able to switch to standby systems on a different processor (similar to redundancy). I need to be able to program the ccn to be able to check health status of each processor and I/O module to be able to carry out the required function.

Does anyone have any experience with this on this particular system?
    I know other true control system manufacturers have this as standard on their systems but Carrier don't seem to be that far advanced!

..... start changing over to another system.

great thanks, sysint unfortunately the the marketing guys did a good sell with the Carrier gear, and now us engineers are left scratching our heads trying to come up with workarounds on a system that isn't well suited!

Hmmm, Gr may be you should add your comments to this Thread:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...9&pagenumber=1

May be then he understands why he should not only ask for salesperson's input.

This onshore plant wouldn't be in Australia would it???

Sounds a bit like you know whats going on over here integrationx.
    I've managed a workaround for the issue now which simply involves some timed error checking of status bits to verify communication across the bus.

I'm curious to find out who you are working for, and perhaps how far the CCN has spread on the site (if it is the same site)

You could try to contact me at integrationxatyahoodotcom
    (Replace the at and dot with the correct symbols)

Originally posted by grgjohno
    great thanks, sysint unfortunately the the marketing guys did a good sell with the Carrier gear, and now us engineers are left scratching our heads trying to come up with workarounds on a system that isn't well suited!
    Make those marketing guys come up with a solution. I don't think the CCN network is robust enough for (what I understand) you want to do. However, a Lonworks network is.

Maybe you could install Lonworks cards on the Carrier stuff and monitor the communication between the devices. Then determine the health of the network. Add a couple Plexus webservers as redundancy.

Have you contacted them directly? Maybe they have some magical hardware somewhere that is not generally available.

EDIT: An example product

[Edited by sysint on 05-04-2005 at 10:52 AM]

Cool

What version of software are you setting up on?
    Ive been using my carrier ccn system for 4 years and have done what your asking but dont remember exactly how I did this, I need to sit down in front of my machine and see what I did, Ill let ya know if you want....
    Michael

Carrier does have a Bus Diagnostic Utility, that scans the comm trunk, and displays peak load, errors, collisions and more. Also, using the ComfortVIEW software, you can view the Memory available, and check for some errors under the Controller Config window (for 6400/1600 controllers only). The BDU was packaged with Element Setup Utility.