Thread: Question about a stepdown transformer

Post Likes

Question about a stepdown transformer

Hello,
    I am looking to find the rated amps for the sencondary of a stepdown transformer. Three phase primary is 460/575V, secondary 230V, 200VA. I am not sure if I should calculate the secondary side of the transformer as 3 phase or single since it is only 2 wires coming out of the secondary.
    Calculations:
    3 phase- 200/230/1.73= .5 Amps
    Single Phase- 200/230= .87 Amps

I am not sure which is correct and I could really use the help thanks.

Post Likes
    There are no three phase transformers, just multple transformers placed together in a package.
    In this case you have 1 transformer fed from 3 phase. However it is only tied to 2 of the 3 phases.
    2 wires in 2 wires out, figure it as single phase.

IF this was a three phase transformer your calculation is incorect.

You have to allow for the 3 phases of power.

The equation is I = (KVA x 1000)/ (1.73 x E)

Assume this is a 20KVA 3 phase transformer instead of 200VA single phase.

(20 x 1000) / (1.73 x 230)

20000 / 397.9 = 50.26 amps
    Last edited by wolfdog; 02-10-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Post Likes
    If it only has two wires coming out of the secondary it is single phase. I am not sure I understand you by saying, "There are no three phase transformers" when in fact there are? They are in delta or wye configurations

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help

Post Likes
    The "Only" thing Wolfdog has been in error about is his chosing a puny 9mm against a full house 45ACP. His statement that there is no such thing as a 3ph. transformer is correct. Just because a 3ph transformer looks good on a schematic diagram, in all actuality it is nothing more than single phase transformers connected in Delta-Delta, Wye-Delta or Delta-Wye configuration.
    Now....If I could only get da' Wolfdog seeing straight on the 9mm/45 issue all would be well.
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Post Likes
    I'd rather have a 9mm over a 45 as well, for many reasons. That is why I carry a 9mm and not a 45acp

Post Likes
    I'm open to negotiation RichardL.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardL View Post
    The "Only" thing Wolfdog has been in error about is his chosing a puny 9mm against a full house 45ACP. His statement that there is no such thing as a 3ph. transformer is correct. Just because a 3ph transformer looks good on a schematic diagram, in all actuality it is nothing more than single phase transformers connected in Delta-Delta, Wye-Delta or Delta-Wye configuration.
    Now....If I could only get da' Wolfdog seeing straight on the 9mm/45 issue all would be well.
    don't forget wye-wye...but who would use those? stupid triplens!

as for the transformer...i do not believe that he has a 3 phase transformer PRIMARY and a single phase SECONDARY. my guess is that his transformer is a multi-tap PRIMARY transformer.

approximately 0.87 amps would be correct for 230 VAC, single phase.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    I don't believe I have ever met a Wye/Wye transformer configuration.
    Delta/Delta for isolation and/or step down.
    Delta/wye to produce a neutral and/or step down.
    Wye/delta to step up.

The obvious question is Wye?

Post Likes

Richardl both choices less than optimal

If I could only get da' Wolfdog seeing straight on the 9mm/45 issue all would be well.
    40 cal better ballistics and knockdown!
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in