Ok tell me if this is bad idea or what I'm missin here.
    Coleman trailer house furnace with 2 wire thermostat for heat and cool, switch on furnace for cool and heat.
    Will a normal thermostat work if I jumper W to Y on the thermostat or will it cause damage to thermostat? Anybody ever try that or should I just get a new thermostat from coleman and forget it?

YEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWW!

?!

I 'm not sure anymore, but I think the change over switch in the furnace uses areverse acting relay.

Get the stat from coleman.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It is simply a heating only thermostat. Another heating only thermostat will work fine or just use the R and W terminals on a heating-cooling thermostat.

When the rocker switch at the furnace is placed in the "Heat" position the thermostat calls for heat as it normally would when R to W closes.

When the rocker switch is placed in the "Cool" position the air conditioning comes on when R to W on the thermostat opens its circuit and shuts off the cooling when R to W close.

The purpose was to allow using a two wire thermostat and simple heating only thermostat to keep costs down. In addition, add on AC would not require pulling a new thermostat wire nor a new thermostat.

Any heating only thermostat will work. No need to jump any wires on a heating-cooling thermostat and don't install the subbase of a heating-cooling stat if you decide to use it.

In a few cases I have removed the rocker switch and pulled a 4 conductor wire and changed the system over to a conventional heating-cooling thermostat. But that is not necessary.

Note: This is a Coleman-Evcon system not a Coleman. There is a difference!

okk..... so do I need to change to cooling mode on thermostat if I want the a/c to work ? heat works fine,
    but if I get this right ... what happens if I change to cool then? will that screw it up? just leave on heat? what happens if someone changes to cool? By the way this is going to be a rental house its in. Is this gonna be a problem with the tenants figurin it out?

Jeez........Just buy a thermostat.

have you gone to the coleman website? A new stat will only set you back a tank of gas or two

Just hook R & W and the furnace will take it from there. No call for heat is a call for cool if the furnace is switched to cooling.

ok thanks fellers

If you replace the heat only t stat with a heat cool thermostat and you put the t stat in cool on the stat the furnace and out side condenser will not shut off, if you put the stat in heat on the t stat it will operate like it was designed with the two wire t stat. Tailgunner24

Quote Originally Posted by Tailgunner24 View Post
    If you replace the heat only t stat with a heat cool thermostat and you put the t stat in cool on the stat the furnace and out side condenser will not shut off, if you put the stat in heat on the t stat it will operate like it was designed with the two wire t stat. Tailgunner24
    You replied to a post that is over 4 years old - May of 2005.