Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    the change out was permitted but they went to the city and not the county so it was voided. I am still waiting for the permit and inspection from the county. I inspected it myself and already told the company what would not pass. (incorrect amp for breakers, knock out hole taped over) They sent a man out to correct this but he fixed only one unit. I still have a 3 ton rated for 40 amp using a 60 amp breaker and they did not replace the 25 year old liquidtight from the roof to the disconnect which is cracked and exposed. ( 5 feet max )

This leads me to a second issue, I now have my low voltage thermostat wire spliced together inside a line voltage disconnect. I can not find a rating on this wire. I know it can run in the same chase but now it is stripped and wire nutted to extend its length. I phoned the county and they said no to the splicing because the wire is not rated to the higher voltage once the outer sheathing is removed.

I feel anger and disgusted when i see how sloppy the job is. I hired a licensed contractor and paid a premium in price. I think most of the reviews on the net for the company must be false and written by them.. Another lesson learned.

Chris

Sammy 37

It is an adjustable curb, and they used a 3/8 x1? foam tape.
    the two adjustable portions of the curb (to correct pitch) are fastened with sheet metal screws. I can tap on the sides and make the two pieces resonate. Did i get the cheapest of cheap? Do companies make or offer the correct pitch curbs if ordered in advance. My roof is a 5/12, nothing crazy. I would have easily paid for and waited a week if it needed to be made if this would eliminate the two separate pieces from producing noise. OR is there some type of rubber skirt that should have been installed between the two pieces??

Thank you,
    Chris

Yeah there are companies that specialize in pitched roof curbs. Some are cookie cutter adjustable and others are custom built for the exact equipment and pitch requirements often with a 10'' rise or higher. Both tend to work if they are installed right and use the proper gauge of metal.

These same companies also make curb adapters for the very reason mentioned above and track old equipment specs so even if the equipment is 20 years old they'll still have accurate information that can be used to make an adapter.

I have a hard time believing a "cheap curb" is the problem...it's more likely it just wasn't installed as well as it could have been or there are other problems (Structural?) perhaps the new unit is a lot heavier than the old?
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by chris989 View Post
    It is an adjustable curb, and they used a 3/8 x1? foam tape.
    the two adjustable portions of the curb (to correct pitch) are fastened with sheet metal screws. I can tap on the sides and make the two pieces resonate. Did i get the cheapest of cheap? Do companies make or offer the correct pitch curbs if ordered in advance. My roof is a 5/12, nothing crazy. I would have easily paid for and waited a week if it needed to be made if this would eliminate the two separate pieces from producing noise. OR is there some type of rubber skirt that should have been installed between the two pieces??

Thank you,
    Chris
    No....that is a standard type of curb and the gage of metal is more than likely 16 or 18 gage......5/12 pitch on your roof? That requires a 30" wide platform in front of service areas.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Chris, I have seen plenty of these style curbs and yes i have used them. I prefer welding our own frames . The curb can be fixed and your sound problems can be solved. You may need to find yourself a more qualified contractor to make these repairs. The most important question about your installation is do you have any roof leaks.

Hey Hunter that duct silencer is cool !!! Have you had experience with these?
    Does it affect the static or velocity of the air flow or is there away around the effects.

Hope this is not in violation of rules but was this issue ever resolved? I have the same problem

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khc95 View Post
    Hey Hunter that duct silencer is cool !!! Have you had experience with these?
    Does it affect the static or velocity of the air flow or is there away around the effects.

No I haven't used them...but they do seem pretty nifty.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12