Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CFESA

Hybrid View

CFESA

Anybody here a member? Wondering if it's worth the membership. Would like to take advantage of the training they offer and plus open the door to new opportunities.
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

personally I took the electrical test, thought it was easy. Been in this trade (hot side) for a year, out of trade school right into it. Besides CFESA opening new doors for buisness I would've loved to attend the classes I heard they're very informative....but my current boss being to CHEAP to send me....

I just got back from the CFESA conference in Orlando. It was my first one and it was pretty good. We also attended the NAFEM show for one day. The company I work for has been a member for a number of years. Just getting to hear that other companies face the same challenges that we face daily is good.

I have taken and passed all 4 tests that they offer. I think it's worth joining for the training offered and the brand recognition with the manufacturers.

For anyone who may not know the typical CFESA company does warranty work for many food equipment manufacturers. The CFESA company will then typically get a discount on the parts from that factory. Many CFESA companies do a tremendous parts sales business.

Just getting to hear that other companies face the same challenges that we face daily is good.

If anyone has any questions I would be glad to attempt to answer.
    Mark

I have found CFESA membership to be very rewarding and worth the effort to become certified.

I have thought about joining CFESA and I know my boss has thought about having the whole company certified. My boss says that years ago CFESA requested a ton of financial information from his company to be certified and he was not interested in giving that private information to CFESA. Also, he told me that CFESA dictates what can be charged back for your labor charges to the manufacturer. For example: If a manufacturer only wants to pay $55/hr for that warranty service call.. thats the price. take it or leave it. As we all know, many other circumstances could justify a "higher cost" for service. We've also heard that if a company hires a CFESA technician and he was paid $28/hr salary at his last job.. and another CFESA certified company wants to hire that technician.. then you gotta pay him $28/hr as well. Since we don't provide service to NEW YORK CITY, but rather service a lower and cheaper state. Its tough to pay $28/hr when good tech's in our state make $20. to $25/hr.

I would appriciate all thoughts on this matter as we are strongly considering becoming CFESA certified.

THX!
    Leroy

I contacted CFESA directly

Here is their reply

Ian,

The information below is incorrect, I am in charge of the membership application process and can verify that we do not ask for personal banking information on the applications. You must provide a dollar amount for your percentage of sales from service, we use this information to see what dues bracket you fall into. This information is on an honor system we do not ask for any financial paperwork to back it up. In addition CFESA does not mandate in anyway contracts with Manufacturers and Service companies for service work or warranty work. This is done independently between the two companies and CFESA has nothing to to with the contracts. Also CFESA does not mandate technician wages for its members, this is also done independently by each service company, based on the technicians experience etc.., some may give a higher rate if they have CFESA Certifications but this is not a mandate by CFESA. If the person who wrote the comments has any questions they are welcome to contact me directly 336-346-4700 to discuss the details of a membership with CFESA. CFESA is a not for profit trade association that represents independent service agencies across the US and Canada. We host their website, produce a membership directory, newsletter and also have technician certification testing and training courses. The association in no way is involved in any of the service companies business practices.

Hope this helps clear up things for you if not give me a call and we will chat..hope your doing well!

Heather Price
    Member Services Director
    Commercial Food Equipment Service Association

Quote Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
    I contacted CFESA directly

Here is their reply

Ian,

The information below is incorrect, I am in charge of the membership application process and can verify that we do not ask for personal banking information on the applications. You must provide a dollar amount for your percentage of sales from service, we use this information to see what dues bracket you fall into. This information is on an honor system we do not ask for any financial paperwork to back it up. In addition CFESA does not mandate in anyway contracts with Manufacturers and Service companies for service work or warranty work. This is done independently between the two companies and CFESA has nothing to to with the contracts. Also CFESA does not mandate technician wages for its members, this is also done independently by each service company, based on the technicians experience etc.., some may give a higher rate if they have CFESA Certifications but this is not a mandate by CFESA. If the person who wrote the comments has any questions they are welcome to contact me directly 336-346-4700 to discuss the details of a membership with CFESA. CFESA is a not for profit trade association that represents independent service agencies across the US and Canada. We host their website, produce a membership directory, newsletter and also have technician certification testing and training courses. The association in no way is involved in any of the service companies business practices.

Hope this helps clear up things for you if not give me a call and we will chat..hope your doing well!

Heather Price
    Member Services Director
    Commercial Food Equipment Service Association
    Go get em Heather

I think that was a very good response from CFESA. They do not dictate anything to the member companies.

Being involved in CFESA strengthens our position as service companies. The manufactures listen. They may not always like what they hear, but they realize that they need us. We also need them, but that does not mean we do anything that does not benefit our companies.
    Mark

My family business has been part of CFESA since the beginning and it is a great organization to be in. Not only is it helpful on the technician side but also from an operation stand point you can learn how other companies throughout the US are running their business all. The best discussions happen around the bar

Just mailed in my application and fee. Can't wait to take advantage of all the benefits. Thank you Heather

Anybody know if Ecolab encourages or requires their technicians to membership with CFESA ?

Ecolab is a member, You should have access to the training.

Thanks Smurphy, just curious as I'm interested in working for them soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast