Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What To Do With Used Residential HVAC Eqiupment

Do You Guys Just Throw Most Of The Old HVAC Equipment In The Dump? Is It Worth Trying To Sell Used Oil Burners, Blower Motors And Other Used Parts Or Am I Wasting My Time Saving The Stuff That Still Looks Good??? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselholic3790 View Post
    Do You Guys Just Throw Most Of The Old HVAC Equipment In The Dump? Is It Worth Trying To Sell Used Oil Burners, Blower Motors And Other Used Parts Or Am I Wasting My Time Saving The Stuff That Still Looks Good??? LOL
    We usually haul old furnaces to the recycler and get anywhere from $5 to $20 depending on how much it weighs. I save all my motors and take them in after a month or two. I had about a dozen motors that I took in a couple of weeks ago and got $31 for them. I usually scrap out the coils on A/C units, which will make you a lot of money if the price is high. I think last summer when I took my coils in they were paying about $.95 pr/lb for them. I had about 450 lbs in coils, so it adds up. I'd try taking the stuff to a scrap yard, at least you'll get a little bit of something for them instead of just tossing them in the dump. As far as parts go, you could try selling them on ebay or something like that. There is always someone trying to fix their own stuff for cheap and they'll buy anything if they think it'll fix it.

[QUOTE=big sky hvac;9312031] I usually scrap out the coils on A/C units, which will make you a lot of money if the price is high. I think last summer when I took my coils in they were paying about $.95 pr/lb for them. I had about 450 lbs in coils, so it adds up

I wonder if they separate the copper from the aluminum or if it does it on it's own in the melting process ?
    I also wonder if the spine fin coils pay premium ?

When I was doing a lot of re/re's I'd keep any new boards, transformers, inducers, pumps, gas valves, fan motors etc that had been changed recently and use them to fix up friends/family's stuff for free.

Just label them so you know what they came from and don't sell them to customers.

[QUOTE=VTP99;9312161]
    Quote Originally Posted by big sky hvac View Post
    I usually scrap out the coils on A/C units, which will make you a lot of money if the price is high. I think last summer when I took my coils in they were paying about $.95 pr/lb for them. I had about 450 lbs in coils, so it adds up

I wonder if they separate the copper from the aluminum or if it does it on it's own in the melting process ?
    The copper/aluminum coils pay the best, if they're "clean", meaning there is no steel on them. Straight aluminum coils get the same price as aluminum cans. I also save all the pieces of copper I get. I usually save up for a year or so, but when I take a load in, I'll usually make between $700 - $1000 off of the coils, copper, aluminum and brass I've saved. It makes it worth it to me. Helps pay for my hobbies, softball in the summer and hunting in the fall.

[QUOTE=VTP99;9312161]
    Quote Originally Posted by big sky hvac View Post
    I usually scrap out the coils on A/C units, which will make you a lot of money if the price is high. I think last summer when I took my coils in they were paying about $.95 pr/lb for them. I had about 450 lbs in coils, so it adds up

Spine fine isn't worth a crap in scrap. regular coil is almost 3x spine fin in my neck of the woods.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Some of the guys around here take the old but still servicable units and donate them to the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. Then they can deduct them as a charitable contribution.

As noted above, one can 'scrap out' the old equipment and get some pocket $$$ at the metal recycler. It is greener to recycle, rather than dump...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Good serviceable pieces we keep for those "emergency" situations. We pull complete blower assemblies, complete oil burners and the occasional control. Everything else gets sorted and the scraped.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

When I had my system replaced last year, the HVAC company asked me if I wanted to keep it and I did. I cut everything apart and separated everything and got $125.00 for the copper and steel.

We keep a lot of control boards from models that are hard to get or are pretty expensive like some of the Carrier and Lennox boards. Also save a few "good" condensers and clean them up and resale them to rental properties.

Have also pulled/sealed a lot of compressors for resale options. We keep a few blowers and cages as well for odd repairs. Got a lot of low income customers that don't mind buying used parts.

One of my employees scraps out the ACR & Copper and the rest of the scrap is put out for local scrappers to pick up.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

I scrap anything a/c related, coils, copper, aluminum.
    I take in several loads a year whenever prices are high. Last load #1 copper was 2.30, #2 was 2.15, and reefer was 1.30 if I remember right. Make a couple k over the summer doing that.
    I just set the rest of the unit on the curb and the scrap guys have it gone by morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast