Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you are referring to the one that hooks up to your Freezone jug hose, I always thought that it was used to determine if added refrigerant was going into the system as a gas or liq? Another reasone for it as I have been told is to see what your recovered refrigerant looks like..... Although I cannot say from personal experience, these are just bits of info that have been passed on to me by coworkers.
    Anyone that uses this glass care to explain the manufacturers (real) reason for this sight glass use?

This sight glass hooks directly to the manifold and then the hose hooks to the other end. Its suppose to not only show if there is bubbles in the liquid( which I was advised that means sysem is undercharged) but also if there is moisture in refridgerant.

I personally have not had the pleasure of using one but know and have seen other tech's with them on there manifolds. I suppose that if you didnt pre-charge your hoses but pulled a vaccume before connecting them to the unit, you would have the benefit of the wetness indicator as you have stated. although you would be taking freon out of the system that way, as long as you purged your gauges of the refrig back into the sytem afterwards I see no bad that this glass can do, wait for others that are used to using this sight glass respond later on, as I can only assume how to use it. Sorry that I cannot provide more in-depth information on this subject!

if you leave you gauges on you vacume should not change much
    if you remove your gagues then you are letting air back into the system and it will change
    never remove gauges unless you break the vacume with nitro or freon
    sight gless on gauges i found only needed when recovering
    when liquid gane i would switch to vapor
    new recoverie unit does not matter will do liquit and vapor on its own

Originally posted by hvac7
    This sight glass hooks directly to the manifold and then the hose hooks to the other end. Its suppose to not only show if there is bubbles in the liquid( which I was advised that means sysem is undercharged) but also if there is moisture in refridgerant.
    That sight glass has nothing to do with determining the correct charge.
    It is simply an indicator of the condition of the refrigerant as it is being charged or recovered.

If you want to use a sight glass to determine charge, it is a similar device, but permanently installed in the liquid line, usually just before the TXV.
    They are generally not used on any system with a fixed-bore metering device.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12