Humidifiers Ruining Gas Furnace Parts or Heat Exchangers

Humidifiers Ruining Gas Furnace Parts or Heat Exchangers

I'm curious, my coworker mentioned how dry his house is and I said I had the same problem until I installed a whole house unpowered humidifier that is attached to the heating system. I believe it is attached at the return ductwork and has a duct that sprays water particles on the supply after the heat exchangers.
    Another coworker mentioned that it is a common problem to have gas furnace parts rust out, including the heat exchanger because of the humidifier. He said it is more common with high efficiency furnaces. He mentioned that is why he has a couple of portable humidifiers in the home to avoid this problem. I called BS on his assertions.
    I'm curious, have any of you pros ever heard of this problem? It sounds odd to me. I mean I believe they've been installing whole house humidifiers attached to supply and return vents for years. In fact many of the major heating and cooling companies like Carrier, Trane, Amana, American Standard all sell humidifiers on their site.
    Maybe I missed something, but I'm curious to know if any pros or amatuers have heard of this or seen damaged furnace parts due to humidifiers causing rust.

If everything is working properly, then no it will not rust out parts. The heat exchangers rust out because of condensation from normal heating up and cooling off over time. A-coils often for one reason or another can put water down into the furnace and add to them rusting out.

High efficient furnaces are condensating furnaces and need to have drain lines cleaned out on a regular basis and when they do not get cleaned out, they plug up and cause a water mess in the furnace that rusts out parts.

Humidifiers need to have a panel changed and drainline cleaned out as well on a regular basis or they can cause a water mess that can add to rusting out stuff. Thus is why I said, "If everything is working properly, then no it will not rust out parts".

Your friend is mis-informed and contributing damage due to lack of regular maintenance to the humidifiers.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

propane (LP) produces (H20) water during combustion, hopefully most is vented out,, dont kn the gas u are using