Thread: furnace filter

Post Likes
    at the local hardware store the other day,i was checking out the furnace filters. My question, do the one inch fiberglass (i think) filters actually filter any dust, dirt etc. They sure don't look like much of a filter. thanks.

Post Likes
    Go by the MERV rating.

Post Likes
    thet work fine as long as your replace them every month
    3-m has a good filter also

Post Likes
    I think that the washable (hogshair?) is better, but you do have to keep up on cleaning frequently, and helps if a frame is made for it to keep it where its supposed to be and not sucked into the ductwork or unit. Other than that though, the throw aways seem to work pretty good, coils stay clean if thats what you are lookin for.

Post Likes
    1" filters come in all different dust trapping efficiencies. The MERV rating on the package will tell you how much of a certain size particle the filter will trap. The problem with filters of any thickness is that, generally speaking the higher the MERV rating the more resistant to airflow they are. This extra resistance can damage the furnace or a/c if the system isn't designed to handle it.

The main advantage of 3" to 5" filters is that they don't have to be replaced as often.

Post Likes
    Well, if you are talking efficiency & pricing here, it's all in how often you want to service the filter or replace it and the quality of the media you choose as well, just as with anything, you get what you pay for. Also more expensive is not always better, it just depends on the unit(s) / use(s) / & price(s) you are willing to pay! As I have had customers that would swear by the electrotstatic & 3 - 5" media filters & hogshair, and others just thought that the throw aways were the best thing since beer. (exact quote from customer) hehe

Anyone let me know if you are aware of anything different....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in