Thread: to pay or not

Post Likes
    All the hvac salesmen that have quoted on a new gas furnace have not done a heat loss calculation; stating that their experience is all they need to size what I need.
    Well the recommendations have run from 37000 btu all the way to 70000 btu.Seems to me a heat loss IS required. Now is this something that they should supply as part of the deal or should I pay someone to do it?

Post Likes
    ahhhhhh let me guess..... WHAT IS.... GET SOMEONE ELSE ALEX!!!

Post Likes
    thurston

You don't have to pay someone else to do it for you. In this case you can, and I hate to say this, DIY , Do-It-Yourself.

Top right corner of your screen, click the bullseye. Spend the $49.00 to save a thousand, OK?

It is a very well thought out program and it doesn't take a professional to run a load calc. If you can post here you can run that program.

g'luck

Post Likes
    DIY....noooooooo this is the part that any contractor should be glad to do. It isn't hard. And I'd be damned if I would let some yo yo walkin around my house, spittin out his chew on his shirt and sayin I know everything and this is what ya need. Find another contractor that can do it. Thats as bad as peein off the porch. Tell ol "skippy" and his brother, "slim" to hit the trail and buy his own beer, and find someone that knows his job and aint afraid to do it right. Guessin don't cut it these days.

Post Likes
    ok ok I've got over my tizzy.. It isn't hard to teach them ol boys new tricks.
    Tell em to get a piece of paper and make a one inch square a two inch a three inch and cut it out with scissors.. blunt ended ones so they don't hurt themselves and have a lawsuit. Then take the paper with the cut outs out to the curb (NOTE: if you don't have a curb, guess where it should be) Then hold the paper up to the house and whichever square it fits in...... The one inch is one ton.... the two inch is two ton etc. Poof load calculator........
    Ok I'm lyin......and I aint settled down, I just can't believe if you ask them for a load calc you can't get it... I'm stunned... No the cut outs don't work that way.

Post Likes
    When did they change them?? Confused???
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Tell the guys who estimate by "experiance", that in your experiance, a new unit should only cost x, not xx...

Post Likes
    I know it does not take long to do one,but it takes awhile
    to climb around and get all the info.

My question would be to you would you pay to have it done?

Post Likes
    Well be honest to the contractor and tell them that you have got estimates that range from blank to blank and before they install that you would like them to do a calc.

For me to do a block load on a single story house takes me 30 min.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in