York Affinity 9 series mod. vs. Trane 95 2-stage

York Affinity 9 series mod. vs. Trane 95 2-stage

Hello! We're replacing our furnace this month, since we can benefit from some rebates. Our house is about 1600 square feet, built in 1992, semi-detached. We live in Eastern Canada - so we get some pretty cold winters. We've had two contractors come and give us quotes. We're pretty sure we've made our decision, but I thought I'd post here to see if there's anything we might be missing.

1) York Affinity 9 series modulating furnace, 10 year parts/labour
    2) Trane 95 2-stage furnace, 10 year parts

Both units are 60 000btu. The Trane is coming in several hundred dollars (am I allowed to say that?) MORE than the York. I'm thinking this is in part because the contractor is insisting that we need a condensate pump, whereas the York contractor says we don't need one. So, we're figuring there's no good reason to choose the 2-stage over the modulating furnace, since the latter is actually cheaper and the warranty includes labour. Both contractors told us that their warranty does not require yearly service.

We get a better vibe off the York contractor, and we have previous experience with him as well (no problems). The Trane contractor is part of a (much) bigger company and we're not 100% convinced they'll provide good service. Nothing wrong with the sales guy...just not even sure he'll always be our contact.

Any foreseeable reason to go with the 2-stage over the York? We do have some cold rooms in the house...no idea if it's the duct work, or just the old furnace (Rheem Imperial 90 plus), or a combination (it's also our North-facing rooms with the biggest problem, including the room over our garage). Hoping the new furnace might improve things.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by stiss View Post
    Hello! We're replacing our furnace this month, since we can benefit from some rebates. Our house is about 1600 square feet, built in 1992, semi-detached. We live in Eastern Canada - so we get some pretty cold winters. We've had two contractors come and give us quotes. We're pretty sure we've made our decision, but I thought I'd post here to see if there's anything we might be missing.

1) York Affinity 9 series modulating furnace, 10 year parts/labour
    2) Trane 95 2-stage furnace, 10 year parts

Both units are 60 000btu. The Trane is coming in several hundred dollars (am I allowed to say that?) MORE than the York. I'm thinking this is in part because the contractor is insisting that we need a condensate pump, whereas the York contractor says we don't need one. So, we're figuring there's no good reason to choose the 2-stage over the modulating furnace, since the latter is actually cheaper and the warranty includes labour. Both contractors told us that their warranty does not require yearly service.

We get a better vibe off the York contractor, and we have previous experience with him as well (no problems). The Trane contractor is part of a (much) bigger company and we're not 100% convinced they'll provide good service. Nothing wrong with the sales guy...just not even sure he'll always be our contact.

Any foreseeable reason to go with the 2-stage over the York? We do have some cold rooms in the house...no idea if it's the duct work, or just the old furnace (Rheem Imperial 90 plus), or a combination (it's also our North-facing rooms with the biggest problem, including the room over our garage). Hoping the new furnace might improve things.

Thanks for your help!

There is no comparision to a modulating furnace and a 2-stage furnace. It's apples to oranges.

It's like comparing a 4 cylinder engine to a 8 cylinder engine.

With the better warranty, it sounds like a no brainer.

Did they do a Manual J? How big is the old Rheem? 60,000 btus sounds a little skinny unless your house is insulated well.

How cold do you get? It's -1 here and we have lots of 1600 sq ft homes on 60K 95% including my friends next door. I imagine you build your homes like we do.

Where does the Yorkie dealer think the condensate water is going?

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    There is no comparision to a modulating furnace and a 2-stage furnace. It's apples to oranges.

It's like comparing a 4 cylinder engine to a 8 cylinder engine.

With the better warranty, it sounds like a no brainer.

Did they do a Manual J? How big is the old Rheem? 60,000 btus sounds a little skinny unless your house is insulated well.
    To be honest, I'm not sure how big our old Rheem is. The contractors, as far as I know, did not do a Manual J. However, we've had an energy audit done on our house and we're pretty well insulated. Our biggest problem was windows, and we just replaced all of them.

I figured as much re: apples and oranges...just thought I'd put out some feelers to see if I'm missing something crazy about the York model, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    How cold do you get? It's -1 here and we have lots of 1600 sq ft homes on 60K 95% including my friends next door. I imagine you build your homes like we do.

Where does the Yorkie dealer think the condensate water is going?
    Temperature - our winters are colder than -1, on average (celcius). We get at least 30-40 days a year with windchills below -20. Coldest days of the year get into the -30s. Nights drop to at least -20 degrees pretty regularly.

As far as the pump...my understanding is that the condensate will drain into the granulars under the slab, and make its way to the weeper tile (if it even makes it that far, which isn't likely)...This is how it's currently set-up with our Rheem.

Thanks again for your input!

The nice thing about the mod. furnace is that it will go down to 35% of the input/output.

The 2 stage will go to only 65%.

Example: 60,000 btu input (95%) = 57,000 btu output

57,000 x 65% = 37,050 btu on low stage (2 stage, 95% furnace)

58,600 x 35% = 20,517 btu output with the mod. (97.7%) furnace.

The 80,000 btu mod. @ 97.7% = 78,160 btu output with 27,356 btu on low.

That's still less than the 60,000. Hard to go wrong.