trane screw loading problems
    this is my first time writing in so bare with me. I have a RTHB 300 that i cant get to load up. After trying things from putting the unit into a manual load through the controls to appling discharge pressure at the schrader port next to the load and unload solenoids. The load solenoid does pulse but I can not get the thing to buckle down and do its duty. Even at 10 degrees above setpoint it only hovers at about 42% RLA. Suction press. and disc. press. are normal and it isnt a lack of refrigerant. The gentleman at Tech. in Pueblo tell me i should rebuild the piston assy. that moves the slide over the rotors. It seems very labor intensive since I have to remove the oil tank and separator to get to it.

Has anyone done this rebuild or have seen these symptoms? I have it scheduled in a couple of days. Was just hoping for some input....thanks

You mean one of these

They are not to bad at all, when you get it apart check for any cracks like this

It's pretty common and really not to bad a job, I had one once where the pipe inside the seperator that feeds the piston had broken, but while you have it apart you should go ahead and rebuild the slide, also take some pics for us, let us know what you find.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

that is very interesting how that cracked like that. Thanks for the reply and the pictures! I am doing the job tommorow. I will be sure to let you know how it goes.

Chillrdude!
    Would you please e-mail me those pics - would help sell a service quote!!! LKelly641@Adelphia.net

Your e-mail bounced back,try my hotmail.com account put chillrdude in front of the @

[Edited by chillrdude on 04-28-2005 at 05:19 PM]
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

Chillrdude looks like a little copper plating going on inside there. A tech did one that came out looking like that and called pebblo about the findings. They said it was not copper plating. And suggested that if its on the piston then it is most likely on the bearings. We ended up sending back for a renewal. Bad thing full maintance account. Wondering how old pics are and if machine has had any other problems after piston rebuild.

What is it what that copper plating? I saw that in an RTHA. No one ever gave me a believable explanation.

By the way, when that RTHA wouldn't load up, I knew it was time to replace the oil filter. RTHA's use oil to operate the slide valve. I don't remember if RTHB's do. If so, it's a cheap diagnostic; replace the oil filter. If the machine loads, you get some kind of award.

Regards,
    Rotorbar