Hybrid View

My contractor says that his customers don't like the complexity of the MOD thermostat and says most of his customers use their single stage stat. I was wondering if a single stage stat would be a problem on a very cold day in Chicago since the furnace would have to go thru all the stages every time based on time instead of going on high fire immediately. Would I expect to have more temp swings?
    Does the Mod stat require additional wires that might be hard to run to the new stat. We have a finished basement.

The mod stat has one wire additional (the V terminal, I am assuming Rheem) This is the life of the system, and is how you get the "comfort" out of the system.

Put it in.

They are not very difficult to use or program. Most people do put them on hold though.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

i may be wrong, but i believe you will only get three stages out of a mod w/ a single stage stat.

Originally posted by heetseeker
    My contractor says that his customers don't like the complexity of the MOD thermostat and says most of his customers use their single stage stat. I was wondering if a single stage stat would be a problem on a very cold day in Chicago since the furnace would have to go thru all the stages every time based on time instead of going on high fire immediately. Would I expect to have more temp swings?
    Does the Mod stat require additional wires that might be hard to run to the new stat. We have a finished basement.
    It's probably that HE doesn't like running new thermostat wire. There is an additional wire for the modulating function that is not there with a standard thermostat and furnace. It would require running new thermostat wire. They just did that in my home and it wasn't a big deal (basement is finished but ceiling is a drop ceiling).

The thermostat is really no more complicated than any other programmable thermostat I've ever used. If I were you I'd demand the modulating thermostat - what's the point of getting a modulating furnace if your only going to use a fraction of its capability.

There are additional functions on this tstat that aren't there on a standard thermostat, if you choose to use them. It's really pretty neat, but you only need to use as much as you want. There is also a non-programmable version that is cheaper I guess.

His customers dont have the problem as Jdew pointed out, its his reluctance to install it or run a new wire. A real shame. Even if you arent going to use the stat, at the very least use a two stage stat.

You might want to insist he does it or ask him if he knows any other contractors in the area who will do it. (that might light a fire under him).

My ceilings in the basement are drywall with some kind of swirly plaster type compound on them. Would the contractor need to open the ceilings to run the xtra wire or can you pull a need set of wires using the existing wires.
    Although you may well be right about my contractor not wanting to run the wire, the other Rheem dealer I had out wanted to put in an 80% furnace since I have a restricted area to vent out a 90%. Do you think I would see more temperature swings with a single stage?

If he cant pull the wire have an electrician do it. Often they can be pulled with the old wire but if it changes directions or is stapled, your pretty much out of luck. Find another route like going up another wall and down from the attic maybe.

With a single stage stat you are going to have timed functions between the 3 stages eventually ending up at 100%

With a two stage it will switch between the lower stages as long as the second stage isnt called for.

I'd still want the stat though even if it meant some wiremold in the basement. Drywall is easily repaired and relatively inexpensive.

If it turns out that a new wire cannot be run, does a two stage stat require more wires?
    Doc I didn't understand your answer about the two stage stat. From another post it was said that the furnace has three settings if the mod stat is not used. [40%,65 and 100%] What will the two stage stat go back and forth between , the 40 and the 65 or the 65 and the 100% . Does the third stage kick in based on time. Do all two stage stats operate the same way with regard to the stages?

Something like that.

Single stage stat furnace stages up until satisfied 3 stages; 40% 5 min, 65% seven minutes, 100% until satisfied.

Two stage stat furnace @ first stage (W-1) 40% until satisfied if w-1 is not enough to keep up, w-2 energizes and furnace goes to 65% for 5 minutes then 100% until w-2 satisfies; when w-2 is satified unit will return to w-1 (40%) until satisfied.

The new wire can be run. Its just a matter of getting someone to do it. Can the thermostat be relocated to an area where it can be run? I'm pressing this issue because its worth it to you to have the fully modulating function.
    Like I said, if he wants to install the single stage because he doesnt have the ability to run new, go ahead, then get an electrician to pull new wire and then he can come back and hook it up.

[Edited by docholiday on 04-28-2005 at 10:42 AM]

Modman Guest
    Originally posted by heetseeker
    AAACK
    Your contractor is handcuffing the units he's installing!
    You WANT the mod stat! The options of one and two stage stats were features added to DOWN GRADE the mod furnace to allow for contractors who needed to be price competive with the the other guys bidding two stage units that re-use the existing t-stat wire and thermostat.