+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ESC Software

Post Likes

Smile

Is anyone using ESC software. We have been using it for about 4 months are are still struggling with it. Any tips on the inventory or job costing. On the dispatch board how do you keep all the calls organized.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I handle the technology end of the business. We looked into ESC a while back and weren't at all impressed. Had a real hard time getting it set up and then it wasn't at all intuitive. We needed more flexibility to do things the way we wanted. I also don't think software today should be that hard to learn.

Post Likes
    The company I work at has been using ESC for about 4 years. We run about 12,000 calls a year and literally couldn't function without ESC.

Having said that, there ARE some growing pains. ESC will let you do a lot of things, but it can be pretty confusing at first. If you're struggling you definitely need to take some of their classes.

Before I transferred to Service, I set up the inventory function in ESC. We bought a barcode printer, a handheld barcode reader, some peel off labels and thousands of little ziploc baggies. If it dosen't move, it gets a barcode! We had to change the way we do some things, but we also have a pretty good idea who has what parts. One of these days we're going to try the mobile client too.

Again, it's not easy, but we think it's worth it.

Post Likes
    I run the everything that ESC offers and mobile client... each of my guys use a HP Pocket Pc with an air card to connect to the internet.

ESC has taken us from paper invoices to all electronic with signatures. I know with in 1 hour where my company stands.

I ran my business for 16 years with out it, I have been using it since Nov of 2004 and don't know how I did it without ESC.

Start up was difficult because it makes you responsible for details. These details will make you make money.

I like ESC, I have visited them in Ft. Meyers Fl. I would suggest you attend their two classes. You will find it very worth your while.

Post Likes
    we attended the one class Broadening your hortizans and gained a lot of info. On the dispatch board how do you keep the calls organized. Each of our techs may have 10-15 jobs on hold and 4-6 calls a day to do. I have a column for there schedule for the day and the call they are working on and then a column for the jobs waiting for parts. Is this the best way to do it or does anyone else have something that works better.

Post Likes
    hvac_student
    the scanner that you use for barcoding is it attached to the computer or is it mobile. Does anyone use a mobile scanner with ESC?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by lulu511
    we attended the one class Broadening your hortizans and gained a lot of info. On the dispatch board how do you keep the calls organized. Each of our techs may have 10-15 jobs on hold and 4-6 calls a day to do. I have a column for there schedule for the day and the call they are working on and then a column for the jobs waiting for parts. Is this the best way to do it or does anyone else have something that works better.
    Too many columns can create a busy board.

I use the Service board, not the install board with time of day.

I have the unassigned to the left. That is where I keep all calls pending. I have a the tech column where all calls sit until they are complete. I have the Service agreement column to the far right to feed jobs as needed to fill time gaps.

That is all I use. Keeps it neat and moving. Since my guys use Mobile they can keep details logged for each visit awaiting parts, add the return visit and parts out of the inventory screen and sign off. I get the electronic invoice as soon as he syncronizes and he gets his new calls. when calls are complete, the program takes them off the board automatically and puts them in the sales invoice area for you to imput.

You check the invoice for accuracy, copy and paste new models and serial #'s in the equipment area for an ongoing history and you are done. Post at the end of the day or when you need to check your bottom line.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by lulu511
    hvac_student
    the scanner that you use for barcoding is it attached to the computer or is it mobile. Does anyone use a mobile scanner with ESC?
    Attached to the computer. When a part is received into the shop, it gets a barcode. When a technician needs a part, it gets transferred to his warehouse (truck). When the part is used, the sticker from the part goes onto the back of the invoice. When the girls in the office process the invoice, they scan the barcode too, which makes it easy to tell what part got used on what job.

Given the way we're set up, I'm not sure the mobile would give us that much of an advantage...probably result in more paperwork for the technician, which would be a very very BAD thing!! (I just got home from service call Hell at about 9:00 tonight).

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hvac student_4063

Given the way we're set up, I'm not sure the mobile would give us that much of an advantage...probably result in more paperwork for the technician, which would be a very very BAD thing!!
    [/B]
    No, not at all....

They will be very glad after the 1st month that they don't have to handle invoices anymore... the mobile is a different world. Faster, more accurate, inventory specific. It will cut many hours of office time spent on paper.

there are so many advantages.... it would take me too long to explain. Also, there is a plan to take ESC totally internet. You don't have to run a network anymore.

Post Likes
    We are having some issues with payroll posting to the wrong place instead of posting costs to residential install, service, maintenance etc... it posts to an overall account and we have to redo general ledger entries to fix it. running 9.1.86 version currently anyone have any advice on what to check?

Post Likes
    Since you are running V 9 I assume you integrate to QBooks? If so, match your journal using the QBook wizard.

You really should upgrade. 13 will be out shortly.

Post Likes
    No using the Esc Accounting... The company i work for is very small and the owner bought it years ago and because I have a little computer background he finally decided to start using it (they were still on Theos) so in my spare time when we arent busy with service/install i have been setting it up and payroll is the only thing hangin us up really, but the secretary doesnt understand really how the accounting side of it works and just says it posts to the wrong account. Under the employees tab I have their default department set but people like me that do Service, Install and Maintenance depending on how overloaded we are in different areas need to have it post in different areas and I am strugglin to see how to change teh department it posts different hours/cost to

Post Likes
    Sorry for double post. Also I would love to upgrade but cheap cheap owner that isnt interested, he wont even pay for support on it so I am stuck trying to decipher it from the ESC Help Tutorials... been a real challenge

Post Likes
    Sorry, I don't use their accounting system at all. Our payroll is taken care of by a third party payroll system through out bank for $50 a month. Cost me more than that to do it manually. SunTrust Bank if you are wondering...

Post Likes
    Yeah... tried suggesting that as well, as far as I can tell their new system doesnt even offer payroll. I downloaded a trial version so I could learn more of it at home but no dice. Appreciate you trying to help though, I am really startin to be at a loss on this

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in