Thread: Carrier Zoning

Post Likes
    I was at a home(for a social function) that has carrier zoning. They have 2 systems & each system has a master tstat located inside the conditioned area. There are several(what appears to be sensors) in the zones. Each sensor is only about 2 inches square with no means of adjustment. The temperature for each zone is set in the master tsat. You can turn a dial in the master tsat to select each zone. We will probably be servicing this system. Does any one have info on these? Thank You, Lee

Post Likes
    a little more info would be nice is it zone pefect or carrier zonekit there are a few different types of zoning controls that carrier uses

Post Likes
    Carrier offers classes on their zoning kits. Have your boss sign you up.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    The "dial" indicates it's Comfort Zone I.Get with the Carrier distributer for the manuals.

Post Likes
    O'boy what fun they are Comfort Zone I. I like new Comfort Zone 2? easier to setup and program.

Post Likes
    I hated how the comfort zone 1's were so easy for
    a homeowner to totally screw up.

They never should have allowed homeowners such easy access.

First bit of advice, tell homeowner to NEVER UNDER ANY CICUMSTANCE turn the dial to ANYTHING but Zone 1, Zone 2, Zone 3 and Vacation. (though most people don't have a clue what vacation does anyway)

I've noticed that the ones we have around here of that age are starting to fail resulting in replacing with the COmfortzone 2. I'm not familiar with the Infinity zoning, so it might be an option.

You will definatly have to have the literature for it.

Post Likes
    Wormy, You have my interest up. What happens if she turns the selector to zone 4? She was turning it thru all the zones. It appears that the master could control maybe 6 zones. That would be 3 wires for each damper & then the basic wires for the heat pump system. Thats a lot of wires for 1 stat. Also are you familiar with the little sensors in each zone? Thanks for the info, Lee

Post Likes
    you need to have the paper work or instructions for this task.
    all wiring goes to a master control board then to sensors and or stats does not matter how many zones you have

Post Likes
    Leander,

Its been a while since I messed with the wiring on one of those.

Its not your typical typical stat wiring. From the main stat to the main control is really a communication wire.
    Seems like there might be 5 wires that get hooked up.
    The communication wire runs to a master control circuit board where everything connects to. Zone Damper motors, duct sensors, zone sensors, heat and air equipment, etc. all get hooked to the main board. (I forget all the proper terminology and I don't have my book in front of me
    at the moment)

You simply MUST have the proper literature on it.
    There's no way you can begin to decipher that system without it.

Our book for comfort zone 1 is actually a 2 or 3 inch three ring binder cram packed with info from front to back.

In response to your question about what if the homeowner switches to zone 4.
    That will do no harm
    Just don't switch over to the left side of the selector knob.
    Zone 1, zone 2, zone 3, zone 4, and Vacation are that only selections a homeowner should mess with.
    The next one passed vacation is used to test zone damper positions.
    The next three or four are for calibrating that sensors.
    So a homeowner could 'accidentally' see 70 on the screen and think the stat is set for 70 degrees, and when they adjust it.. they actually screwed up the calibration of the duct sensor.
    The last two selections... think they are "S" and "T"
    (I'm a bit rusty... I'd have to have my book)
    Anyways.. those selections are setting the zone system configuration.
    So you can set it up for Heat Pump vrs Gas Heat.
    How it operates the blower.
    High Limit settings.
    and about 30 or 40 more settings.

Just for future reference...
    Comfort Zone 2 is not backwards compatible with ComfortZone 1.
    A sensor for comfort zone 2 will not work on comfortzone 1.

Post Likes
    I think she has already screwed up the system because she says the tstat is always set on 70. She has not called yet but I will contact my carrier rep for further info(just in case). Thank you for your reply.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in