Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new construction photos- need comments

Post Likes
    good job ... we cant test it only see it ... one suggestion ... do not let duct touch each other or anything else ... will sweat

Post Likes
    A nice clean install sent to crap by flex duct.
    I guess it's easy to focus on a few good things when you short change the runs.

Sorry it's a good looking job, I just hate flex.
    I'd run round pipe and sleeve insulate it.

Have them put an emergancy float switch in the black drain pan.

That could save a ceiling in a couple of yrs.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes

billva

Originally posted by billva
    have the contractor install an E-Z trap. this has a removable float switch which will shut down the system in the event of a clog. they also have a clear trap and a brush so any debris that settles in the trap can be seen and removed.

another safety device is a float switch for the emergency drain pan, wired in series with the e-z-trap.

as for the trap in the emergency pan drain, i've never heard of that and am curious to see its purpose.

good luck, looks good.
    The trap is not installed on the emergency pan. I'm sorry I did not make that statement clear.

The trap would be installed on the secondary drain from the evaporator coil pan.

The purpose is to prevent the unit from filling with water in the event of a primary drain clog. Priming the trap with a nonevaporating liquid keeps the air-handler from sucking hot humid air from the attic space. Also a trap should be used on the secondary also because both the primary and secondary drains are under negative pressure.

Water alone in the trap will evaporate quickly. Anti-freeze, transmission fluid, or any light weight oil can be used to prime the secondary trap.
    "Football Season again finally"

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the opinions guys. I will stop by the jobsite today and see if is around.I asked him yesturday about the sizing and he went to his truck and pulled out some paper work with my Lot # on it. It doesn't mean much to me but he says it is sized according to the biggest load which is air conditioning.
    I also asked him about leak testing the system. He tells me that all the joints are sealed. If I want to leak test it I am more then welcome to pay for someone to come in and do it.
    Is it customary for the installing contractor to leak test his ducts on new construction?
    It seems some here think he did a good job and others don't.
    This can get very confusing.
    The general contractor and his subs do seem to have a good reputation around here.
    Thanks to all that have replied.

Post Likes
    If he sealed the ducts, do your self a favor at this point and dont mess with the leakage test. He hasnt skimped on anything yet so your well ahead.

Post Likes
    I agree, don't worry about the leak check. He's sealed the joints.. there might be a very small ammount of leakage but it's nothing to worry about.

I've only seen a handfull of jobs leak checked, and they were high pressure commercial jobs and it was required by the engineer. God them tests suck lol

About the quality of that job. There's always going to be room for improvement in any job. I'd say you definately have gotten a very good install though.

Post Likes
    Terrible install! Just kidding
    Looks really nice. A clear trap with a cleanout installed inside a galvanized drain pan would be better.
    Nice install.

Post Likes
    Here in my area insulation can't be crushed by straping and if it has been then a additional layer of insulation is required.
    All primary drains above a ceiling in to be insulated. I would also have a tee and cap on the p trap for clean out.
    The flex duct installation directions that come in the box of flex duct states that straping it to be no longer that every 5' and not to permit more than 1" of sag between straps. Also straping the flex duct on the outer sleeve crushes the insulation and can cause it to sweat and tape can come off then duct becomes loose.
    Plastic drain pan these get brittle over years of hot attic temperatures. They also might want to install a float switch in the aux. drain pan.

Post Likes
    Looks great!

Only thing I'd do is bring up the high return higer.. It seems to be in the middle??

Odd to see see both high/low return?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in