Thread: A nudder noob....

Post Likes

A nudder noob....

Howdy all, new to the forum as indicated by this post.

I was researching for solutions to a problem that was handed to me. I found this forum and hope it will help me with my research. I will try to find the right place to post my question.

I have been in the steam business since 81. Mostly in operations.
    77-81 Missile Mechanic, USAF, FE Warren AFB
    81-91 Fort St. Vrain, CO - Operator, worked up to RO before they quit making nuke steam.
    91-97 Contractor to various DOE facilities, training, procedure writing, emergency response drills. INEL, PPPL, SRS, RFETS.
    97-present CU Boulder, CTGs to HRSGs, steam boilers, absorption chillers. Currently manage a small heating/cooling plant on campus.

Too much info?

I enjoy exploring Colorado in my 4WD, finding remote fly fishing spots, plotting my trips with a GPS. Lot O Fun.

I have used forums to enjoy many of my hobbies/interests and found them to be very useful. I have never used them for business purposes, hopefully this is as useful as the fun side ones I have used.

Jeff
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Welcome to the site Jeff,

Several years ago me and a buddy drove our jeeps out there and drove them up Mt. Blanca and camped up there by the lake at 12000 ft. Very pretty out there, we were able to drive up to about 13,500 feet, up by the upper lakes, then had to get out on foot.

Take care

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
    Welcome to the site Jeff,

Several years ago me and a buddy drove our jeeps out there and drove them up Mt. Blanca and camped up there by the lake at 12000 ft. Very pretty out there, we were able to drive up to about 13,500 feet, up by the upper lakes, then had to get out on foot.

Take care
    Thanks for the welcome.

Blanca Peak is a gnarly trail not to be tackled by the under equipped or inexperienced.

Jeff

Post Likes
    welcome

you'll need to get that post count up to apply for pro.....

that's where the top, ultra good stuff is.

this isn't just the best place but the only place, don't believe anything else
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Fisher View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.

Blanca Peak is a gnarly trail not to be tackled by the under equipped or inexperienced.

Jeff
    Yeah, it was fun...we seen one guy put his carrier pin through his diff cover trying to get over the 3rd obsticle. We had to winch him over so we could get down the mountain. We didn't have any trouble though.

Here is a pic of my TJ that I had at the time with 35's:

And here are a couple of my buddies jeeps:

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    welcome

you'll need to get that post count up to apply for pro.....

that's where the top, ultra good stuff is.

this isn't just the best place but the only place, don't believe anything else
    I noticed the 15 post requirement for pro status. I will have to see what I can do about that.

Thanks....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
    Yeah, it was fun...we seen one guy put his carrier pin through his diff cover trying to get over the 3rd obsticle. We had to winch him over so we could get down the mountain.
    Sweet rigs, there is a dollar or two spent in those.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Fisher View Post
    Sweet rigs, there is a dollar or two spent in those.
    Yep, probably more than should have been...but you got's to be able to play and have fun.

Post Likes
    So do you have a 4x4 that you go wheelin' in? Here are a few more good pics of mine and a good rock crawling video of some of us awhile back.

Here is the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAuTShjOgH0

Post Likes
    I'm not hard core like those rigs, those are great pics and a great video. Very nice scenery.

I have had a couple of the old style Broncos (a 72 and a 74), still have a 84 F-250 4WD w/460 beefed up a bit. I use it to tow my Sami out camping/wheeling.

My current toy is an 87 Suzuki Samurai. It has a massive 1.3L engine w/header, cam & Harley Davidson carb (great off road carb for this thing). - 6.5 tcase gears, - 4.30 diff gears, lockright front and rear, "double tough" front axles, 32x9.50 SS TSLs (8lbs off road) on stock rims, ~4.5" sua lift, deaver springs (all rear length), missing links on front, Smittybilt XRC8 winch w/blue rope, rock sliders, skid plate, General Lee CB also beefed up a bit, Dodge Neon front seats. It's my DD.

I enjoy the more scenic trails and can't really afford to build em big just to break em so this Samurai works very well for my needs. Scenic rides with a few challenges here and there, pleny of that out here. Small, light (2400 lbs) and inexpensive to build and maintain. Gets me to great fly fishing holes, can haul the wife and I and our two grandkids around. I have had a blast building it up and have been very impressed with it's abilities.

There are 3 videos strung together on this you tube link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWkOn...x=1&playnext=3

Post Likes
    Good pics and videos. Those Samurai's are tuff and yours looks like it is built pretty good and you are not afraid to drive it like it is built for.

Post Likes
    Got kinda vertica in that youtube video...didn't you. Looks like you air down to around 3 to 5 lbs...is that right?

Post Likes
    8 lbs is what I usually run, never lower, sometimes a little higher. If I climb the steep stuff and put all the weight on one tire it folds in pretty good at 8 lbs. Have not had one come off the rim yet.

Squishy tires are great for comfort also.

My favorite places to wheel are the San Juan mountains of SW Colorado, and Moab. We spent a lot of time riding dirt bikes in Moab back in the late 80s and going back recently with the 4WDs has been a blast.

For fishing/camping/wheeling and not so far off I like the Taylor Park area.

Post Likes
    Oh, and I appreciate your help in getting my post count up....

Post Likes
    Yeah, they only count the posts where you are talking hvac though, so we will have to do some of that as well.

I had 35's Goodyear MTR's on mine and no beadlocks and would air down to 3 or 4lbs, never had one come off the rim and I drove it hard...until I got the front locker.

We only have a couple parks here in KS to wheel at, my buddy in the big white jeep went ot Moab a few yrs back for the Easter safari and had a blast.

Here are a couple of pics of him out there:

Those are 40" MTR's

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in