time for a new unit(s)
    We currently have an oil fired boiler supplying HW baseboard heat and domestic hot water. Found out today during a yearly tune-up that the combustion chamber is shot, the tech had me look inside and there is a big hole in the back . the unit is a Crown 129,000BTU probably 30 years old. We also have an AC system probably on it's last legs, condensor housing rusting, needs freon every year. Since my wife thinks even a new oil system would still be "dirty", what are some thoughts regarding conversion to gas and keeping the baseboard system? How about a small gas boiler for heat and a tankless HW heater? Too complicated, costly? We live in Norfolk, VA maybe 1800 SF ranch.

Thanks.

A heat pump would be much cheaper to operate in the norfolk area. And would be cheaper to install 1 system instead of 2.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

I personally would go with gas, but a properly tuned oil burner is fine.

The operating cost would be a big determining factor.

Get quotes for both systems with a cost comparison. See which system offers the best warranty and payback.

I would tend to say that a gas fired, high efficiency boiler would pay for the difference in cost in a short amount of time. But that's here.

i would go with high eff gas boiler with indirect h/w setup as long as baseboard in good shape. deal with a/c as seperate issue.

Consider a 13 seer or higher split system and sh_t can the oil and gas.The average mean temp in that area(I grew up there) justifies using a heat pump with supplemental electric heat.

[Edited by chillbilly on 04-26-2005 at 09:01 PM]

if you want gas for other appliances as well. consider the heat pump with gas back-up.

heat pump would only run above 35 or 40 degrees. below those temps., the gas furnace kicks in. IMO a pretty good option for your area.

bear in mind that you will have to get gas to your house from the street,(i'm guessing it's there) and then plumb the house.

this will increase the costs of converting, so keep in mind what appliances you will choose.

good luck.