Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused

I'm 31 years old and been doning IN HOUSE maintenance for a large super retailer for 9 years. Five years ago I was promised a refrigeration mechanic position if I went trade school. I took a one year HVACR program at night and an became a roving mechanic when I completed. Well after about two years of roving I got sucked back into the general maintenance part of it because of some remodels the chain was doing and after major changes the company has been going through half our staff was eliminated. I have always done HVACR work for them in these nine years and have OJT and tech school as solid experience. The trend has been for IN HOUSE maintenance to go away and contractors to come in. I think our chain is going that way and the job is getting very hard to deal with. However it's a M-F 7am to 3:30pm job on call every 5 weeks. I have to work on everything including changing toilet seats and caulking urinals to rack refrigeration and accounting. I never bring in much outside help. My boss knows nothing about trade work and that kind of pressure is killing me. I feel that my HVACR trade that I love is leaving me. I am paid a little over $20 an hour though. (o/t is a sin)
    I have an interview tomorrow with a large well est. service company. I feel that I can get this job. It will pay more and I will get a service van and better health insurance and the owner seems to be a great guy. So what is holding my up? I am a very loyal employee that does not like to jump around, this is one of the very few jobs I've ever had. I don't know if it's going to be there for me in the future and I need to get in a service truck. Never worked out of a service truck. I can use a meter, and fix stuff, that don't sweat me none. I'm sure where I'm at is a little easier than a service truck other than the contant calls on the phone all day long when you going to get this fixed and this and that's not working. I'm stuck in the same place every day and listen to same people, some as dumb as a hay rake. Including my boss which is...a she and is very demanding and not appreciative at all. Can you talk me into staying or going, if not I think I'll go... Thanks so much for reading this book.
    It's a Leak!

and I might add, that I remove graphetti off restroom partitions too! No I don't feel like a man anymore, but it puts food on the table.
    It's a Leak!

Why are you still there?......It's obvious you WANT to leave. Loyalty to a place that's already cut your crew in half and you're not appreciated and you're caulking urinals and they're likely to contract out at any time....

It's time ....do it.

Allright change is a little scary......You'll love the van and being out and about and seeing different scenery and people every day.

[Edited by ozone drone on 04-26-2005 at 08:45 PM]
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Thanks Ozone Drone, every little bit helps right now. It seems simple but man it's hard to leave after nine years. Leaving is like a little kid giving up his 'saftey blanket'.
    It's a Leak!

I think you should do what you have to do. You will learn more in a year in the field than 9 years in house.

Then you can look at you options a little more clearly.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

I appreciate that Freezeking. My 'in house' experience is worth more than that though. I'll give you this, I'll learn more in 6 months in field than I have in the last 2 years though because I've been tied up on stupid stuff.
    It's a Leak!

don't even look back!!! Take the new job and start enjoying the trade. I worked for a service company for over a year with a women running the department, all I can say is that I will never work for a women in that field again!! Not being sexist but seems like she had something to prove and absolutely no idea with what was going on!!!

Good luck in your new job...

It sounds to me like you've thought this thru well. I think we all understand the uncertainty of a job/career change.

You stated that much of your dept. is outsourcing now. Which means your current job now isn't all that secure. It also sounds like you don't feel appreciated and are generally unhappy with your current job. You have another offer from an outfit that you appear to fit in well with.

Seems like you have thought this thru. Looks like a "no brainer" to me.

Talked to my wife last night about this again, she says that it looks like this is the chance I need to get out and I should take it. I'm getting ready for the interview now and I will take the job if he offers to hire me. I'll put in my two week notice this coming monday and in two weeks I won't look back. It's not just women but working for anyone thats dumber than a hay rake takes it's toll on you. I like the part about enjoying the trade, cause I used to and I know it's possible. Probably should have left 2 years ago but hey I gave it every chance to work out and I might add I'm not the only one that's left over the past two years. We lost several of the best we had. Monday it won't just be me putting a notice in, another tech started his own business and has enough going on now to leave. He was one of our best. Like my very wise Instructor said:
    "Pay me now or pay me later, but your going to pay."
    It's a Leak!

wright
    One thing to check before you leave. See that any retirement funds are vested. Many funds require 10 Years before there yours. This could also be why they are trying to force you out.
    Good Luck, Been there done That

Pecmsg,
    On the paper computer at work it say, 5 years and that I'm vested. I have heard of a policy where, after 10years they can not buy you out, you have to wait till retirement to get payments. If you leave before 10 years, which I've been told, they buy you out. It all could be lies though, this is the new normal. Thanks
    It's a Leak!

Just thought I would pass that on. Early in my career I made that mistake. 1 year cost me $4K at the time. 30 years later well you get the picture Good Luck

Write
    Been there done that. At one time I was a company man. It is just business with a company. They will let you go if the numbers do not fit their model. They will not loose sleep if they let you go.
    You have a business, that of providing for family and yourself. If you are comming home from the job and bring it home with you then your family is sufferin.
    At one time I was all out for the company. In 1989 after the earthquake I stopped by one of the stores to besure everything was ok and did notleave for 5 hours. They did not have to call me in I just checked as I drove past. Now if I was driving away from the property and saw a fire truck stop out front, I would just keep on going home.
    If you are working for a large company the only thing most look out for are the board members.
    Sounds like you have a chance at something good. Say goodby to your friends, they maybe hard to leave. But if they are friends they will be excited for you and want you to go.
    Len

[Edited by snipe70e on 04-27-2005 at 11:15 AM]
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast