Thread: $ per point

Just curious.... What is an average price per point on a small ddc system with remote capabilities, 25 pts or less? Can it be given a ballpark number in this manner? If you take out the remote factor can you give it a number then? A customer told me today that he is paying $500 a point on average for his small systems. This sounds high to me. Just wondering what you guys think.

What are the particulars , is there conduit involved , is the point a DO , AO , AI, is it being added to a graphics program this all figures into the $ per point.

Just lost a job to a startup outfit that forgot to figure all the COSTS involved into their per point $. Talk about a LOW price and a few stunned looks when they realized they were almost 50% below the average price of 6 other contractors.

For instance..... one particular job... 2 steam boilers on a common header, DO enable for each, DI alarm output for each and one steam pressure transducer (tap installed by others). 1 OA sensor, 2 space sensors, 2 h/w loop sensors, one DO for pump start and 1 DO to enable 4 UVs. 12 points I think. Very little conduit, only in boiler room where panel is located. This is an ALS with WebCtrl. This may have been the first ALS system at this site therefor the WebCtrl price would be in this job. My understanding is the price tag was 10G. By the way, customer had lan at this site. Not knocking the guys price, just wondering if this sounds average. Hey... if you can get it, why not?

All other jobs are similar but front ends are in. Customer says he pays average of $500 a point.

I have never figured out $/point, mostly because every job is different - regardless of size. Stand alone/integrated control, monitoring/alarming, installation considerations, H/E package, etc - too many variables. Pricing questions are frowned on.

Thanks guys. Just curious how these got priced. I have heard a lot of talk about price per point but it didnt seem to make a lot of sense to me either.

Check out R S MEANS they have good pricing books / software and offer a lot of CONTROL prices and they are fairly accurate.

BTW - I have found ALC systems to be very solid. Operator interface is better than most - although I'm not a fan of the alarms package. Also, they have recently been acquired by a big equipment manufacturer and you never know what changes may be coming down the Pike.