+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HVAC JOBS

Post Likes

Question

I JUST FINISH A 16 MONTHS COURSE JUST GOT MY EPA AND LOOKING FOR JOB. EVERY ONE IS LOOKING FOR EXPERINCE TECH I'AM NEW TO THE HVAC FIELD AND I DON'T KNOW WHICH WAY TO GO. SHOULD I GO INTO COMMERCIAL OR RESIDENTIAL??? HELP????????

Post Likes
    Hey Rookie,

Please start by turning off your caps. It is considered yelling on the internet.

I moved your post to this area. You will get more coverage here than anywhere else. You may also want to detail out your resume' for everyone to see. Be brief but precise.

Put your best foot forward and good luck.

Also, Please read this Forum Rules

Post Likes

Cool Hvac Jobs

The answer depends on where you want to go. It is harder to get a commercial job but you will see more types of equipment. This can segway into a controls career.

My advice is to catch on with a reputable contractor where you can learn. Make sure you take advantage of all classes available to you.

What ever you do do not get pegged as a one trick pony down the line, Can install but not service or vice a versa. As an employeer I want a well rounded tech. I know that a service tech is slower on an install but try putting an install tech on service with out him/her having service training. Meaning mix it up and enjoy all that this field has to offer.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

try York International in Manhattan,at 60 East 42nd Street 41st flr they just picked up the GAP clothing chain of stores and with the CVS already.they are looking for new guys and they will get you into the 638B union,and send you to school over at the hall off VAN DAM in L.I.C.one summer with them and show some responsibility and you will be in a van by summers end!ask for the Commercial Service who handles the retail chain contracts at(212)843-1602.they are always looking for the young guys with schooling and a positive attiude...if they say to you "but you have no experience" tell them that's why you want to come to York!they can't shoot you for trying.......good luck
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Thanks for your responses.

I just interviewed with a residential HVAC Co - Nationwide, NY office is 6 techs 1 service guy. After interviewing for a installation technician position they offered me a job as a Project Manager overing seeing techs and inventory of supplies. Job is offering high 30's.

Any advice - should I take this job and learn the office end of it (not sure where I can advance, career and salary) or should I take a lower paying job as an entry level tech and work for a few years as a tech and move up the pay scale?

Post Likes
    Contact Steamfitters local 638 in LIC.
    Steamfitters
    Local 638 Metal Trades Branch
    John J. Torpey , President
    32-32 48th Avenue
    Long Island City, NY 11101
    718-392-3420
    FAX 212-784-7285

Post Likes

Thumbs down

get into commercial and forget residential...30Gs for PM...DANDER...DANGER! those positions are very unstable especially just out of school?i have 28+ years in and wouldn't take a PM job for $100,000 salaried,and banging the bosses daughter!.get out into the field and spend 10 years doing service and installs then look at those types of postions

Post Likes

Talking

i have 28+ years in and wouldn't take a PM job for $100,000 salaried,and banging the bosses daughter!

Even if the daughter looked like Pam Anderson????

Post Likes

Question

Thanks for your respond ..
    Iam gonna turn down the job but what should i expect to start out making ....I have a family one child don't whant to put them throught hard ship you know i'am making 33 a year...please advise

Post Likes
    you might make that with York if you get in now,they mightt take your schooling into account,and bring you in at 3rd year.check out http://www.steamfitters.com go to metal trades,and rates for the B side

Post Likes
    Hey Rookie,

This is the hard part. There is no one here that can make “the decision” for you but you. We can give you wise, been there, done that advise but you are stuck with the decision making powers of your future. I can say that I am happy to be in the business and have been for a very long time.

Do your research first before making any moves. Never quit a job before you find another. Your family comes first.

G’luck in all things and stay close to your God.

Post Likes
    Hey Rookie don't be afraid to look for Non-union work the union loves guy's like you It's a fresh Palet to spew there bullsh## on, Just do what you think is best for you and your family best of luck to you!

Post Likes

Smile

Thanks guys
    You all where very helpfull in making my decision i just hope and pray that i made the right one.
    P.S still looking for a job

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in