Angry

I've had no luck with Tech Support, so I figured I try here. I have an NPR sitting inside a school with an internal IP address assigned to it. At the firewall, I have the public IP looking at the internal IP and the correct port is opened to it. I can see the NPR on the network inside the school with INet, but not outside the school, which is connected via T1 to the internet. I can telnet to the NPR from just about anywhere. Any suggestions? Anybody have this problem, please let me know what you did to solve it.

I am definitely not an IT guy but one thing to try is to have the NPR in the DMZ (De-miltarized Zone) - if the IT guy will let you. I've got a similar problem with a 511 and I found out it was due to the customers router/gateway settings. Look at the manual for engineering a 527 - that may give you some more help on what to try. I've been so frustrated with IT guys and my lack of knowledge that I am seriously looking into taking a networking class for TCP/IP.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

I'm not an I.T. guy either, but I've had some experience with the NPR. If you can access the Lan with an INET host from inside the firewall, your NPR is working. Try pinging the NPR from inside and outside the firewall, and try pinging another site on the outside. Get I.T. to help if you can. You usually have to let them discover it really is their problem.

I know this is going to be a shocker, but this IT guy is really trying to help me. He's spent hours with me trying to figure out this problem. The thing is, tech support down in Texas can't seem to tell us what the actual problem is to figure out a solution. I'm kind of befuddled. We can't ping his router, which would be the ip address my NPR is looking at due to the router won't send any replys. Security thing. Here's the thing, I can telnet it with hyperterminal from outside the school, so I know something is working. Tech support tells me we have to forward the port 50069 back to the public IP, but I'm not exactly sure how that's supposed to work, unfortunately neither does the IT guy. He's got the inside and outside IP addresses looking at each other and the port 50069 is open at the outside ip, so technically there is a direct route to the inside ip on that port.
    Crab master, as far as I can tell, he has no real DMZ, but I'll ask him. If this is a solution, it's going to be a difficult solution, if I'm not mistaken, I'll have to physically put the NPR in that part of the network, and that is more then likely going to be at some distance from it's present location. I'll probably have to extend my main lan to get to it. It's worth a shot though. The crazy part is the only reason we're going through all this trouble is the IT guy hasn't gotten to reinstalling his radio antenna that normally connects his intranet between the two buildings. I'd like to get this working here none the less so I'll know how to do it in the future. Thanks to both of you for your help in this matter. Maybe some day I'll figure out the problem and actually get the solution

Wouldn't the last statement be great.
    Setup your laptop as if it were the NPR then
    Go to http://www.grc.com/default.htm
    Click on sheilds up and follow on. This basically will show you what ports are open. I've had a router's tables tell me the ports were open but this showed me the only port open was 80. Anyway there are other programs - freeware - out there port sniffer is one, but that is basically another check. I don't have any experience with the NPR, I've gotten around it using a host PC for the 527. If you do find an answer let us know. The one other thing is I've been told some IP companies block certain ports so they can speed up their overall networks and they pay less for less bandwidth usage. Double check with the ISP as well.
    Good Luck!
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Thanks Crab Master, and I'll be sure to post the solution, when I find it.