Thread: Freon question.

Anyone got a handle on how much freon 20 ft of copper tubing will typically hold? Is it in the pounds?

Depend on what size it is, 1/4 will hold much less then 7/8.

Your Welcome,

It also depends upon the type of "Freon".

Rocket scientists we are.

I recon it could hold several hundred pounds.

Unroll it, support one end of the copper, slide the other end through the handles of the freon jugs, then support the other end.

Sorry, not the answer you were looking for, but I always have been the class clown.

Talking

Pour it in the pipe until it is full, then dump it into a bucket and weight it. You'll have to do this in a very cold room.

LOL!!! Very funny!

Originally posted by mdb2097
    Anyone got a handle on how much freon 20 ft of copper tubing will typically hold? Is it in the pounds?
    I see from your previous post you are trying to get a good install. Were you charged extra for "pounds of Freon?"
    Since you didn't state what kind of refrigerant, nor the diameter of the copper tubing, it makes it difficult to answer your question.
    Yes, extra refrigerant may need to be added to accomodate the length of the lineset.
    How much depends upon the length and diameter.
    It most likely will be ounces of refrigerant per foot.

Freon

Thanks bwal2.

Looks like 1/2 inch copper. Freon is r22. The documentation that was left states that the unit contains enough freon for 20 feet of tubing. I am certain that the distance between the coil and the condenser is at leat 40 ft. and that the contractor did not add freon. The contractor is suppose to be back out on Thurs to correct known issues and I wanted to be prepared if he says that freon does not need to be added. If no more freon is added, am I significantly undercharged with r22?

The tech should measure superheat/subcool and this will determine if freon is needed.

I worked for a Sears Subcontractor when I started in this field and remember removing pounds of refrigerant from whatever brand unit they carried at that time because the factory workers were expecting to strike and overcharged ALL of the condensers during manufacturing.

I never trust the factory pre charge!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!