Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 17

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    40

    York YK "D" fitted with VSOP.

    Hello everybody! I'm troubleshooting a Centrifugal York Millennium YK “D” style, fitted with VSOP. What is happening is: when the equipment is requested to start, during the pré-lub process the oil pump starts and the VSOP output frenquency increase from 25 to 60 Hz, but the oil pressure do not reaches a value of 45 PSID as needed and the compressor start is aborted followed by the “ HIGH OIL FLOW” displayed message. After the VSOP reset, and several attempts, the pré-lub process is completed and the equipment starts. Has anyone ever seen this problem?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the world.
    Posts
    1,575
    HIGH OIL FLOW
    If either of the following conditions occur, a safety shutdown
    is initiated and
    DAYTIME-HIGH OIL FLOW
    is displayed when the STATUS key is pressed.
    a. If the oil pressure is < 40.0 PSID for 5 continuous
    seconds during the last 10 seconds of the compressor
    pre-lube or during the first 15 seconds of
    SYSTEM RUN.
    b. If the oil pressure is < the programmed OIL PRESSURE
    SETPOINT and the speed command is at
    60Hz for 5 continuous seconds, anytime after the
    first 30 seconds of SYSTEM RUN.
    The “DAY-TIME-HIGH OIL FLOW” safety checks
    are not performed during MANUAL SPEED control.
    All other oil pressure safety shutdown thresholds are
    the same as with the fixed speed oil pump applications.
    For both fixed speed and variable speed oil pump applications,
    the shutdown threshold for “DAY-TIME-HIGH
    OIL PRESSURE is now 90 PSID.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

    25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the world.
    Posts
    1,575
    KNOWN PROBLEMS
    Early version of VSOP drive software did not work
    properly with a YORK chiller. To verify the software
    version on the VSOP drive, do the following: Open the
    enclosure door and look for the VSOP drive in the upper
    right hand corner. In the center of the control board,
    locate the square chip, approximately one square inch.
    On this chip is a label. If the label has C13.XX on it, or
    a lower number, the VSOP drive should be replaced.
    A few of the VSOP drives have demonstrated a sensitivity
    to line voltage disturbances, such that is caused
    by the switching of power factor correction capacitors.
    These line voltage disturbances cause the DC bus voltage
    to exceed a safe limit for an extremely short period
    of time. New VSOP drives have a 50 msec. timer placed
    on the high DC bus voltage shutdown. If you suspect
    this is your problem, verify the software version as stated
    in the previous paragraph. The software version that
    contains this fix is a C30.2A. These drives will be available
    sometime in July of 1999.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

    25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    20
    I agree with York56. But whats the speed on the oil pump once the machine is up and running? Anything >35-40 Hz could indicate dirty oil filter, causing greater PD through filter and pump is struggling to maintain oil pressure setpt. But sounds like your machine falls in the category for the VSOP software upgrade.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    40

    Thumbs up

    Hello ChillTeK! How are you? Tomorrow I'm going to check this parameter too and come back and let you know, thank you for your clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillTek NC View Post
    I agree with York56. But whats the speed on the oil pump once the machine is up and running? Anything >35-40 Hz could indicate dirty oil filter, causing greater PD through filter and pump is struggling to maintain oil pressure setpt. But sounds like your machine falls in the category for the VSOP software upgrade.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the world.
    Posts
    1,575
    Your welcome.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

    25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    40
    Hello York56! Thank you for your reply, tomorrow I'm going to check the label chip.
    Quote Originally Posted by york56 View Post
    KNOWN PROBLEMS
    Early version of VSOP drive software did not work
    properly with a YORK chiller. To verify the software
    version on the VSOP drive, do the following: Open the
    enclosure door and look for the VSOP drive in the upper
    right hand corner. In the center of the control board,
    locate the square chip, approximately one square inch.
    On this chip is a label. If the label has C13.XX on it, or
    a lower number, the VSOP drive should be replaced.
    A few of the VSOP drives have demonstrated a sensitivity
    to line voltage disturbances, such that is caused
    by the switching of power factor correction capacitors.
    These line voltage disturbances cause the DC bus voltage
    to exceed a safe limit for an extremely short period
    of time. New VSOP drives have a 50 msec. timer placed
    on the high DC bus voltage shutdown. If you suspect
    this is your problem, verify the software version as stated
    in the previous paragraph. The software version that
    contains this fix is a C30.2A. These drives will be available
    sometime in July of 1999.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dixiana, AL
    Posts
    2,609
    Dirty oil filter (as was stated by chilltek) and refrigerant saturated oil will cause this issue to come up.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    40
    Hello klove! I've changed the oil filter, but no success, the problem is there yet. As York56 stated I've checked the label ship on the VSOP and it is "C30.1B", do you have some info about this VSOP version?
    Beyond the oil temperature, what else could be the reason to saturate the oil with refrigerant?
    Thanks for your posting.
    Regards
    Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    Dirty oil filter (as was stated by chilltek) and refrigerant saturated oil will cause this issue to come up.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the world.
    Posts
    1,575
    Have you read the last email that I sent you. also there is an upgrade to the VOSP. ( conversion )
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

    25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    40

    Thumbs up

    Sorry York56, I had not read it yet, I've just read it right now, for any reason it was in the spam box, Really sorry. I really appreciated your feedback, I will ask to our customer to get this new one VSOP to make the conversion.
    Thank you very much for sharing your knowledgement, it really makes me grow professionaly.
    Quote Originally Posted by york56 View Post
    Have you read the last email that I sent you. also there is an upgrade to the VOSP. ( conversion )

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    20
    hey brztech, sounds like your on to something with the VSOP conversion, but to answer your question about the oil being saturated with refrigerant besides low oil temp. There is a piping circuit on the YK's and YT's called the oil sump vent line, same theory that is used on the YT's but no vent line solenoid. The pipe comes off the compressor at the lowest or close to the lowest pressure which is near the eye of the impeller and goes to the side of your oil sump-near the internal oil eductor block. Basically used to vent the refrigerant vapor out of the oil sump, pressure goes high to low always. If this doesn't happen your oil laden refrigerant will foam violently and cause your oil pump to cavitate and lose prime or pressure, how ever you may. Hope that makes sense and maybe helps in the future.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dixiana, AL
    Posts
    2,609
    Also, if you have a conditon where there is warm water running through the cooler during chiller shutdown, the oil gets saturated. Since you can't directly control the temperature of the oil (it's done through the micro panel), you have to look for any abnormal shutdown condition that might cause something like this. The fact that the machine will come up and run on the successive attempts at startup leads me to believe that something along these lines is the problem. POE oil saturated with refrigerant won't necessarily foam as bad as mineral oil, but the refrigerant will thin the oil and create starting problems with the oil pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event