Problem of York Affinity 5T 15 SEER Heat Pump

I have two York Affinity 5T 15 SEER Heat Pump units in the house. One is for downstairs and another one is for upstairs. Both units don’t work properly sometimes.

For the upstairs unit: The outdoor unit (both fan and condenser) does not run sometimes. I checked the two lights on the electrical board inside outdoor unit. The red light is off, and the green light was flashing continuously. There is no fault code for this red light and green light combination. Turning-off and turning-on (many times) the heat pump with thermostat might restart the outdoor unit. Normally this problem happens when the power voltage is relative low and the humidity is high. Does any person know what the reason of this problem is?

For the downstairs unit: The outdoor unit (both fan and condenser) does not run sometimes neither. I check the fault code from the two lights on the electrical board inside the outdoor unit. The fault code is “High Discharge Line Temperature”. Resetting the protection lock will not restart the outdoor unit in this case. I found the outdoor unit fan was running slow when it is cold outside (frozen), and I didn't see this outdoor unit running at the de-frozen mode (steam out of the unit) often. Does any person know what the reason of this problem is?

I have asked the tech who did the maintenance services for these two units. He has no idea about these problems, and he is from the dealer I found from York AC website.

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by planet View Post
    I have two York Affinity 5T 15 SEER Heat Pump units in the house. One is for downstairs and another one is for upstairs. Both units don’t work properly sometimes.

For the upstairs unit: The outdoor unit (both fan and condenser) does not run sometimes. I checked the two lights on the electrical board inside outdoor unit. The red light is off, and the green light was flashing continuously. There is no fault code for this red light and green light combination. Turning-off and turning-on (many times) the heat pump with thermostat might restart the outdoor unit. Normally this problem happens when the power voltage is relative low and the humidity is high. Does any person know what the reason of this problem is?

For the downstairs unit: The outdoor unit (both fan and condenser) does not run sometimes neither. I check the fault code from the two lights on the electrical board inside the outdoor unit. The fault code is “High Discharge Line Temperature”. Resetting the protection lock will not restart the outdoor unit in this case. I found the outdoor unit fan was running slow when it is cold outside (frozen), and I didn't see this outdoor unit running at the de-frozen mode (steam out of the unit) often. Does any person know what the reason of this problem is?

I have asked the tech who did the maintenance services for these two units. He has no idea about these problems, and he is from the dealer I found from York AC website.

Thank you in advance.

A qualified tech will be able to "recall" the last 5 fault codes and be able to come to a determination of what is going on. Just need to find the right tech.

The tech is from the dealer I found from York AC website, and this dealer is supposed to be the "York Certified Expert". He should be good at York AC/Heat Pump. When he came, these two outdoor units were running. Maybe I need to wait until the outdoor unit does not always run (Because now they do run most time, but are getting worse by time). These two units were installed in 2006.

Thank you

Are you still using a single stage thermostat on your 2 stage units? You posted that you have TH6110 thermostats, they are single stage thermostats, and are not the correct ones for those heat pumps.

Probably have control wiring problems also.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I might not have gotten the correct Thermostat model number. I just found its interface is exact same with Honeywell TH6110D.

My thermostats should be 2 stages thermostats. It works on the Auxiliary status sometimes, and I can feel the indoor air flow is much faster if it is in the Auxiliary status. The tech checked the thermostats, and he didn’t find anything wrong with it.

Thank you.

My wild guess is that these 2 huge units are having air-flow issues. Did they ever work properly?
    5 ton units need to move a lot of air - if your duct work is not adequate, you can have all kinds of problems.
    10 tons of cooling may be way over sized, and will increase energy usage, and decrease comfort.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

I bought this house three years ago, and these two units were installed by the previous house owner in 2006. I noticed the problem of upstairs unit in last summer, and noticed the problem of downstairs unit in this winter. They should worked properly before I found the problem.

The tech checked the indoor fan speed setting too. The indoor fan speed is set at lower limit. If it is set one step higher, it will be too noise and the air flow will be too strong at the Auxiliary status. Actually the air flow is already quite strong (at the Auxiliary status) at current indoor fan speed setting.

Thank you.

Quite strong, still doesn't mean that you have enough.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Since the problem is in the outdoor unit, and one time I saw the outdoor fan (downstairs unit) was running slow and then after a while it stopped. The fault code is “High Discharge Line Temperature”. It looks that it was not related to the indoor air-flow.

Quote Originally Posted by planet View Post
    Since the problem is in the outdoor unit, and one time I saw the outdoor fan (downstairs unit) was running slow and then after a while it stopped. The fault code is “High Discharge Line Temperature”. It looks that it was not related to the indoor air-flow.

That statement is incorrect. Like I said in the first post. You need a new tech, a good one.