Smile

hello everyone have visited this board a number of times and decided to sign up to ask some questions.

i've been involved in the mechanical/electrical/automotive fields since i could walk and have done my own HVAC work in the past but now would like to check into the EPA certs required. i DON'T do this for anyone else but the AC in my hobby shop (dragsters, machinery ect.) needs replacement and i was also "thinking" about upgrading the system (forced gas/AC) i installed in my home about 8 years ago. the system still functions fine but it's low end and was interested in the newer variable speed/firing stuff. of course there's the issue of being able to purchase the equipment. i do have the ability to get equipment through some friends as i have in the past but would rather not go that route. from my experiences i must say that the HVAC community seems to be one tight knit group and was hoping to get some answers here without being bashed or flamed. i don't consider myself an HVAC tech but am more than capable of doing a safe quality install. although i had been qualified for the 609 (i know that doesn't apply here) i never bothered doing the paperwork to obtain it. i was looking around trying to get some basic info on the 608 and i see there are different types. am i incorrect in stating that the 608 type I is sufficient to purchase equipment or does that require the more advanced certifications?

thanks for your input

Here is a link to an article I wrote and which is posted in the "For Your Interest" area. Check out the rest of the "For Your Interest" area after reading this article.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=49523

Norm

Red face

thanks for the link Norm. maybe i'm showing my ignorance here but as i read it the type I would only cover refrigerators, compressed air driers, window units ect. being they're sealed and (normally?) have no service valves.

as i read it to purchase/install a split system would require a type II or higher?

odd thing that the system i run at work has a 600 HP motor and when they changed it from 12 to 134a it was filled with a tractor trailer, we now have 1 ton cylinders...go figure.

thanks again

It's not this or higher.

It is one of the three for HVAC/R:

1.) Type 1
    2.) Type 2
    3.) Type 3

4.) Universal (means you can do all 3)

Then you have the 609 cert for MVAC.

Try this.
    http://www.tipages.com/nci/

Their manual is about 80 pages, not the nine listed on the site.