York Furnace High-Pitched Whirring Sound

A newly installed York TM9T high-efficiency furnace emites a moderately noisy and constant high-pitched whirring sound similar to a vacuum cleaner or hair dryer when the blower is operating. It is loud enough that the customer's televison volume needs to be adjusted when the blower kicks in. The original blower motor was just replaced under warranty because of bad bearings. Strangely enough, the whirring sound occurred only after the new non-variable speed motor was installed. The sound seems to be originating from the furnace blower and is transmitted through the supply and return air ducts. Could the new motor be running at a different speed or rpm and generating too much air volume? The blower off delay is set at 120 seconds, the fan on speed is factory set at 30 seconds and the continuous fan speed is set at low.

Quote Originally Posted by pocovin View Post
    A newly installed York TM9T high-efficiency furnace emites a moderately noisy and constant high-pitched whirring sound similar to a vacuum cleaner or hair dryer when the blower is operating.
    Probably the inducer motor, they sound exactly like a vacuum cleaner, well really that is what they are, a big vacuum cleaner.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Bad bearings on a brand new furnace blower motor? Guess I've lived right, 25 years in this business and hundreds if not thousands of furnaces installed and never had that happen.

As I have three different vacuums and they all sound completely different from one another I can't begin to guess what might be the cause. Air noises and/or mechanical noises being generated by the furnace are easily tracked down by the process of elimination. Time to get your installer back again and have them figure it out.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

I would call back the installer, should be able to track it down in no time.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

have service tech check for proper draft mtr orfice, and proper sized drain pan. York has a diferent drain pan for each size furnace. They scream if not properly sized.

blower wheel ?
    work to live not live to work.

On the Luxaire/Yorks we have occasionally had some air leaks in the blower compartments. The bottom panel is designed to be removed for return air intake. It is a friction fit panel and on occasion, does not fit tightly. You can get some unusual sounds emanating from these air leaks, high pitched whistles, squeals and even funny burbles. Also, the seals on the front access panels are some times damaged and cause odd noises.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2rock View Post
    I would call back the installer, should be able to track it down in no time.

That would be my suggestion also.

Quote Originally Posted by local553 View Post
    blower wheel ?
    Just had one yesterday where the blades were seperating from the the center partion .....