Bryant Heat pump question

I recently bought a new house and with it came, of course, a builder grade furnace. It's the 340AAV 060080. I believe this to be the Bryant Legacy Line 90 furnace. It's A/C ready and has some CNPVP4221ATAABAA coils? on the top of it (i'm not sure that matters or not). I'm going to have a heat pump installed and originally got really excited about the evolution brand and the thermostat. It seems I got too excited and my furnace is going to be the efficiency bottleneck and that it might dictate the right heat pump combination. Sad, I like top of the line stuff too...

I live in Portland Oregon, so aside from a month in the summer of hot and a month in the winter of cold, we are a pretty mild climate. The heat pump location will be 15 feet from my deck, so a quieter unit would be nice.

With that, how high on the heat pump line should I go before it's economically foolish due to my climate and/or my builder grade 340AAV?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by MagoFox View Post
    I recently bought a new house and with it came, of course, a builder grade furnace. It's the 340AAV 060080. I believe this to be the Bryant Legacy Line 90 furnace. It's A/C ready and has some CNPVP4221ATAABAA coils? on the top of it (i'm not sure that matters or not). I'm going to have a heat pump installed and originally got really excited about the evolution brand and the thermostat. It seems I got too excited and my furnace is going to be the efficiency bottleneck and that it might dictate the right heat pump combination. Sad, I like top of the line stuff too...

I live in Portland Oregon, so aside from a month in the summer of hot and a month in the winter of cold, we are a pretty mild climate. The heat pump location will be 15 feet from my deck, so a quieter unit would be nice.

With that, how high on the heat pump line should I go before it's economically foolish due to my climate and/or my builder grade 340AAV?

Thanks in advance!

You can still get a nice and efficient heat pump but you won't be able to do the evolution system with that gas furnace.

I looked through all of my nomenclature for your furnace and don't see any AHRI matchups specified with it.

How quickly are you looking to have this done? Shoot me an email to discuss this in greater detail on exactly what you are looking to accomplish with your new system. I do a lot of work in your neck of the woods(putting a heat pump in for my dad in a few weeks). Lot of things to think about with this process. I'll make sure you get it right!

josh at phoenixqualityheating dot com

Efficiency of your new heat pump and what is feasible will really depend on your timeframe living at the house (why put in a two stage heat pump if living there 2 years when a more basic model will save up front) It also depends on the size of house you have(load calculation wise) and what your comfort concerns are. An 80% efficient furnace is not always a bottleneck like many people think. I put in a lot of 80% efficient furnaces with high efficiency heat pumps, why spend extra money on a 95 when you get tax credits on an 80% and a heat pump and your furnace only runs 10% of the time?

In your situation I would recomend the Evergreen ECM blower motor www.evergreenmotor.com so that you have an energy efficient motor and then talk to a local contractor who is PGE certified such as Sky Heating and we can discuss the heat pump options with you.
    five oh three 235 nine zero eight three.

-Travis
    Owner of Sky Heating

If you go with a 2 stage Evolution heat pump which is very quiet, you will need a variable speed (ECM) blower motor on the furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by MagoFox View Post

Thanks in advance!
    If you wrote down the model number correctly, the furnace has a 5 ton blower. That blower uses a lot of electricity.

If the builder would buy back the furnace, then switch to the Evolution furnace.

Depending on the size of the H.P., you may be able to utilize the 3.5 cased coil.