New expansion valve not good-Trane

Hello. My 4 ton 15 seer Trane required a new expansion valve in Dec. when it was 10 months old. Installed and serviced by a Trane dealer. Had to wait 2 days for the part from Trane. The unit does not seem to be as efficient as it was before the repair. It take 2 hours to increase the temp. 1 degree with or with out emer. heat. My electric bills have been $571 and $428 since the repair, before the max. was $340.
    Is this possible? Wrong valve installed? Bad repair. Defective valve made in Mexico?
    Thanks for your comments.
    Fixit

Quote Originally Posted by fixit517 View Post
    Hello. My 4 ton 15 seer Trane required a new expansion valve in Dec. when it was 10 months old. Installed and serviced by a Trane dealer. Had to wait 2 days for the part from Trane. The unit does not seem to be as efficient as it was before the repair. It take 2 hours to increase the temp. 1 degree with or with out emer. heat. My electric bills have been $571 and $428 since the repair, before the max. was $340.
    Is this possible? Wrong valve installed? Bad repair. Defective valve made in Mexico?
    Thanks for your comments.
    Fixit
    That reeks of a mischarge.

When this repair is performed all of the refrigerant has to be recovered. How did he perform the charging of the unit? Did he leave you any post-startup numbers?

Thank you for your reply. The Tech said he evacuated the system and recharged it. He did not give me any start up numbers. A different tech a from the same company a month later said he checked the pressures and everythig was ok.
    Thanks again,
    Fixit

Only 10 months old, later into the winter means colder temps. Assuming the unit is running more, maybe the increase in fuel costs?

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCoastAC View Post
    Only 10 months old, later into the winter means colder temps. Assuming the unit is running more, maybe the increase in fuel costs?
    Ya, good point but I would have someone verify the charge with real data.

When anyone tells me the charge is fine I demand they tell me how they know that. Lots of techs out there that don't have a clue what "fine" is.

We need superheat, subcooling, hi press, lo press, delta T, indoor wet/dry bulb, outdoor dry bulb....along with the indoor and outdoor unit's model numbers(including coil). While you are at it, give me the factory charge of the outdoor unit, the length of the refrigerant lines and the total system charge when he was complete(which any 2nd year tech would make sure and write somewhere on the rating plate of the unit, in his startup sheet, or in his paperwork).

Give me those and I can tell you if the charge is correct. Don't give me those and I don't believe you. Tired of half-azzed excuses for startup technicians!!

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    Ya, good point but I would have someone verify the charge with real data.

When anyone tells me the charge is fine I demand they tell me how they know that. Lots of techs out there that don't have a clue what "fine" is.

We need superheat, subcooling, hi press, lo press, delta T, indoor wet/dry bulb, outdoor dry bulb....along with the indoor and outdoor unit's model numbers(including coil). While you are at it, give me the factory charge of the outdoor unit, the length of the refrigerant lines and the total system charge when he was complete(which any 2nd year tech would make sure and write somewhere on the rating plate of the unit, in his startup sheet, or in his paperwork).

Give me those and I can tell you if the charge is correct. Don't give me those and I don't believe you. Tired of half-azzed excuses for startup technicians!!
    Agreed, a lot of installers have no idea how to charge a heat pump, especially in the winter. I'd wait to have some warmer weather and get someone out there to charge it properly. This is the reason we make all our installers fill out a detailed 4 page start up sheet with all the info you listed plus a bunch of other info that will cover our butts.

Thanks to all you who replied. I took a letter to the dealer today outlining my problem. I hope I do not have to take him to court.
    Fixit517