Frown

TO Professional folks:

I need your help on determining what me and the other tech did wrong!

5ton Heatpump outside unit was working and about 12 years old. we replaced about 3ft of low & high pressure line outside that goes to the heatpump. vaccum the system and tried to fill it up with R22. place the termostat on cool and turn it on. we had to kick start the switch on the heatpump, but the Low pressure gauge goes to high (clockwise) and the high pressure guage goes to zero(counter clockwise) the we have to stopped the procedure becuse the compressor and the low pressure line gets very hot.

Note: we did not do anything with the wireing. and want to understand what has happend? would you advise if you know what is happening?

I believe some how this has stock in heat mode! is it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

Did you melt any of the stat wire going to the unit.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Almost sounds like the system is running in Heatpump instead of AC with the service valves closed.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

heatpump Goodman

No wires have been melted and everything is in a good shape except I am not sure how to get it out of the heat mode. is there any idea? Could there be a block in the system? how about the reverse valve?

any bright idea, instead of insults?

Thanks for your professional ideas?

Mark

Let me guess; the indoor unit is Rheem or Ruud air handler?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

goodman heatpump

no the unit inside is Heil airhandler (gas furnice + air handler New))? what difference would it make? Please specify?

You need to make sure that the unit has 24v between the orange and the blue wires at the heat pump. Rheem systems do not energize orange.

Why in the world did you put a new heat pump onto an old system?

goodman heatpump

the blue wire and the orange that come from the termostat?
    is that what you are saying?

Thanks

No, the blue wire and the orange wire at the heat pump must have 24 volts in the cooling mode.

Originally posted by mark01
    TO Professional folks:

I need your help on determining what me and the other tech did wrong!

5ton Heatpump outside unit was working and about 12 years old. we replaced about 3ft of low & high pressure line outside that goes to the heatpump. vaccum the system and tried to fill it up with R22. place the termostat on cool and turn it on. we had to kick start the switch on the heatpump, but the Low pressure gauge goes to high (clockwise) and the high pressure guage goes to zero(counter clockwise) the we have to stopped the procedure becuse the compressor and the low pressure line gets very hot.

Note: we did not do anything with the wireing. and want to understand what has happend? would you advise if you know what is happening?

I believe some how this has stock in heat mode! is it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark
    Did you replace the heat pump? By your post it would appear that you moved it or ???
    If your suction line is hot and reading high pressure it is in the heat mode. Most Heat pumps have a third access port that shows true suction, it is located on the bulk head above the line set service ports. Blue should go there and red on the large line for reading pressures in the heat mode. If you are trying to cool and get heat your O/B terminals may be reversed, or set up with the t-stat is wrong. Just guessing here, good luck
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

I've had the same problem, the reversing valve doesn't reverse. It's normal position is in "heat" mode. I would try the following.

With the outdoor unit off and power to the indoor unit (you need the 24 V circuit to be live) "bump" the reversing valve by pulling one of the wires which control the reversing valve off the contactor and putting it back on. This is also an indication your contactor is going back - check for pitting, loose wire one coil, etc.

Double check your voltages on the 24 V circuit.

Hope this helps.

Sean
    Sean Cantrell