Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast
Results 92 to 104 of 353
  1. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    I was only to Atlanta once. Our host gave us a quick tour of downtown and then he wisked us away to his home on Lake Lanner (sp.) which was about 30 miles away. He makes that trip everyday on a commuter train.

    But Altanta looked like it has a lot to offer. I'm looking forward to see more of it. Of course there is a lot of Civil War history too. Also a lot of Spanish moss.

    Now, talking about Savannah. That is altogether different. There are hundreds of buildings that escaped devastation during the Civil War. The city takes pride in preserving these "squares" lined with these antibellium homes. The time to go to Savannah is on St. Patricks Day. Hilarious.!!!! Maybe someone on this board is from Savannah and will host the convention sometime.

    PS: Lusker, isn't there a big underground mall in downtown Atlanta??
    There is an old War of Northern Aggression era walled in cemetary in Atlanta. Glennac and I had dinner on a rooftop of a restaurant overlooking the cemetary walls. The restaurant is named Six Feet Under.
    .

    .
    .
    Guess what I ordered.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  2. #93
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,021
    THX Dave for tooting the horn of our city! There is really a lot to do down here, one could spend a week just seeing and enjoying this area.

    Stone Mtn Park is a nice place to visit, as well as Helen up in the mtns. I would plan the convention at Stone Mtn park, however it is a state park and as such folks are not allowed to bring alcohol in (state law for all state parks). The laser show is worth seeing if one has time.

    Dave is right: S of Atlanta (well except Savannah) is not much... (no offense to the HVAC guys that live south). There is enough to do in the mountains N of Atlanta, one could take a day trip every weekend for a few years and not see it all (not kidding).

    Savannah is a bit humid, might be a bit warm to do an H-talk gathering there in late Aug or early Sept... Early Spring sounds good to me also.

    I plan to put together a list of things to see and a link to the Chamber of Commerce; as well as some suggestions for places to stay. Hope to arrange a discount for us guys.

    Speaking of us guys... How many of us think they will come? I fully realize the head count will go up and down, however a general idea would help. THX!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  3. #94
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,021
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    There is an old War of Northern Aggression era walled in cemetary in Atlanta. Glennac and I had dinner on a rooftop of a restaurant overlooking the cemetary walls. The restaurant is named Six Feet Under.
    .

    .
    .
    Guess what I ordered.
    Been there... and yes the food is good... and so is the cold beer!

    This town is just full of places to eat... as well as things to see.

    Reference was made to civil war stuff: Go to this site:

    http://www.nps.gov/kemo/index.htm

    and read up... The hike up the mountain is about 1.5 mile, a brisk walk... or one can ride the shuttle bus. The museum at the entrance is interesting... be sure to watch the 30 min video about the battle of Kennesaw. If you get there at the right time, they will shoot the cannon (LOUD!), and answer questions about the battle.

    Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson airport is the largest in the world in daily passenger seats... there is lots of competition for airfares... folks should not have much issue getting a flight if they choose to not drive. If one does fly, Atlanta is a spread out place... expect to drive your rent car lots of miles.

    Dave and Ken (K_fridge), and any others that live here... please feel free to tell folks about the things around this area! THX!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  4. #95
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    11,986
    Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    I was only to Atlanta once. Our host gave us a quick tour of downtown and then he wisked us away to his home on Lake Lanner (sp.) which was about 30 miles away. He makes that trip everyday on a commuter train.

    But Altanta looked like it has a lot to offer. I'm looking forward to see more of it. Of course there is a lot of Civil War history too. Also a lot of Spanish moss.

    Now, talking about Savannah. That is altogether different. There are hundreds of buildings that escaped devastation during the Civil War. The city takes pride in preserving these "squares" lined with these antibellium homes. The time to go to Savannah is on St. Patricks Day. Hilarious.!!!! Maybe someone on this board is from Savannah and will host the convention sometime.

    PS: Lusker, isn't there a big underground mall in downtown Atlanta??
    Lake Lanier is a man made lake just north of Atlanta. It used to be all farm land. The old homes, barns and even the wire fence remain below. I lived there for many years. There is no commuter train that goes that far north but MARTA does stop about 25 miles south then reverses directions and goes back to Atlanta.

    The Spanish Moss is more south eastern coast of Georgia. I don't think I've ever seen any up here.


    Underground Atlanta is mostly shopping. Think of a subway tunnel with shops build into the walls. When it was being remodeled some 20 years ago I was doing a ton of work there. Parking was nonexistent before everything was finished along with the parking deck. I was followed out to my van a few blocks away, pistol whipped and robbed. Tossed in the back of the van to rot. The only way I go back into downtown is with my carry .40 cal. But, that's just me.

  5. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusker View Post
    Lake Lanier is a man made lake just north of Atlanta. It used to be all farm land. The old homes, barns and even the wire fence remain below. I lived there for many years. There is no commuter train that goes that far north but MARTA does stop about 25 miles south then reverses directions and goes back to Atlanta.

    The Spanish Moss is more south eastern coast of Georgia. I don't think I've ever seen any up here.


    Underground Atlanta is mostly shopping. Think of a subway tunnel with shops build into the walls. When it was being remodeled some 20 years ago I was doing a ton of work there. Parking was nonexistent before everything was finished along with the parking deck. I was followed out to my van a few blocks away, pistol whipped and robbed. Tossed in the back of the van to rot. The only way I go back into downtown is with my carry .40 cal. But, that's just me.
    Streets of downtown Atlanta are not really the place to be after dark... as in many large cities. The MARTA (subway) system visits most places one would like to see... and the walk is lighted. Link to MARTA:
    http://www.itsmarta.com/visiting-atlanta.aspx
    Including many places to see.

    IMO other than the Aquarium, World of Coke (museum), CNN center, and Centennial Park (site of the 1996 Olympics), and a pro-sports game... there is not much downtown...

    The reason downtown is not much... is there is just too much to do in the burbs and the N GA mountains. Folks that like to drive around and explore... will have a GREAT time down here... we might even gain another 'Pro' in the area if they like it...

    BTW: The movie 'Deliverance' was about the making of Lake Lanier... however not filmed at the same place. Some of the filming was done here:
    http://ngeorgia.com/ang/Tallulah_Gorge_State_Park
    (This link does not want to work at this time... server may be temp out www.gastateparks.org/TallulahGorge )
    Here is a link to some photos of the area:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=tallu...w=1848&bih=996
    Tallulah Gorge is about 1.5 hr NE of Atlanta... One can hike down into the gorge... however it is a VIGOROUS hike back out. I have been to the bottom and back up a few times... GREAT swimming in an ICE COLD river at the bottom.

    Another interesting place is Amicalola Falls:
    www.gastateparks.org/AmicalolaFalls
    Link to pictures:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=amica...w=1848&bih=996
    For those that are outdoorsey types: Close to the falls is the foot of the Appalachian Trail.

    Another place of interest is Dahlonega GA... site of gold mines (working gold mine one can tour), and site of a US mint before the civil war. Town is a cutsey touristy place, with nice places to eat. Note that Lumpkin county is semi-dry... only beer and wine.
    http://www.dahlonega.org/
    Last edited by ga-hvac-tech; 04-05-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  6. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    S.W. PA
    Posts
    3,298
    I'm in I hope, but when you get a date and place please let me know cause I dont check in here as often as I should
    thank you

  7. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Metro Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    475
    I've never been to an H-Talk convention, but I'd like to meet some of the faces behind the names. And I live in Atlanta so I think this is a good time. I forgot that Stone Mountain doesn't "officially" allow alcohol

  8. #99
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,021
    OK guys and gals... the voting was supposed to close back on Sunday... I let it go because of the light response.

    The weekend of Sept 16-17-18 seems to be at the top, so that weekend it is.

    I have been to one convention... the one in NC in 2008 that 'Self Employed' hosted in the Winston-Salem area. We had a good time.

    As noted above, there are a lot of things to do here in Atlanta. In a week or so, I will be posting the schedule and location for the gathering... as well as a place to stay that hopefully will give us a discount rate.

    For the folks that have not done an H-talk convention... this is a social gathering; not a tech or dog/pony show. We all come for a short vacation in a different city than we have been before... See some interesting sights... and gather later on a Saturday afternoon into the evening for a catered meal (probably BBQ with sides and cokes--bring your own preference of beverage--alcohol or non-alcohol) and to hang out and get to know the real person behind a screen name here at H-talk.

    Some folks will get together other times during the week/weekend... and any of you that are church-going folks are welcome to join me on Sunday morning at my church (11:00 AM for about 1-1/2 hours).

    The meeting place will probably be in the greater Duluth area... The locals know where that is... For the rest: It is N of I-85N going NE out of Atlanta... Off Peachtree Industrial Rd. Since we now have a solid date, I need to go out and reserve a venue. More details to come.

    I truly hope as many of you as can, will come. I can tell you we will all have a good time getting to know each other, talking shop, teasing each other (Robin Boyd usually is man enough to wear a pink shirt... )... and just having a GREAT time with our H-talk friends. No guarantees... but I understand there may be some interesting entertainment... if they show.

    One thing that would be a lot of help... would be for folks that plan to come, or that think they will come... to go ahead and post. Please answer this question:

    I plan to come to the H-talk convention in Atlanta in 2011 (or)
    I hope to come to the H-talk convention in Atlanta in 2011.

    (Plan means you will be here... hope means you really want to and it is 50/50 or better at this time). THX a bunch!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  9. #100
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Now hold on just one minute! If you bring a dog and pony, I'll do a show with them.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  10. #101
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,021
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Now hold on just one minute! If you bring a dog and pony, I'll do a show with them.
    How about we get you some stuffed animals... will that work for you...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  11. #102
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    How about we get you some stuffed animals... will that work for you...
    No way! Boy, you are sick!
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  12. #103
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Colorado flatland native
    Posts
    15,067
    I'm glad to see all of the responses here. It was Downtown Atlanta that I made the "Note to Self" about not going back to. North Atlanta sounds like my kinda place!!! I cant wait!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

  13. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    7,405
    I'm just about in. Just need the details on hotel accommodations.


    Oh, and you guys don't care if I drink excessively and be very obnoxious do you? Any casinos down there in ATL?

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event